Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
motor rocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2011, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default motor rocks

i have a 2004 na, i just noticed the motor makes the car rock front to back in park. i opened the hood and revved the motor up. the engine rocks back and forth pretty hard. looked at the top motor mount and it looks okay. do u think it would be the lower . how can u tell if it is the motor mount. i am stuck driving my truck until i get thid figured out. any help is appreciated

shaun
Old 08 Jun 2011, 06:46 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: motor rocks

Sounds like a motor mount to me.
Old 08 Jun 2011, 10:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like the top or bottom strut--or both struts--to me. You can't really tell by looking at the top one because the rubber strut material may have failed--but it's still all up in the area it's supposed to be in, so to speak, and hard to see with it attached. The bottom one is easier to eyeball, however.

My lower strut (you call it a motor mount, but it's a strut) was replaced a few years ago (actually at 38,000 miles, if you can believe that). While looking under the car (with it on jackstands) I could easily see that the rubber cushioning was still okay. The upper strut was another matter. I had to remove it to see the damage. Of course, I knew it was worn because my motor was rocking, like yours, so it had to be a problem with the upper strut.

After removing the upper strut, it was very obvious that it was kaput. The inner bolt/bracket/shaft that resides within the rubber cushioning was completely detached from the crushed rubber.

You should realize that when you switch to "park", "reverse", "drive", etc. the motor will rock a little at idle. It's supposed to. But not a lot ....

Google "replacing the motor mounts on a PT Cruiser, and find the video some guy made of the rocking motion of a sound PT motor, as opposed to one that has bad motor struts. You'll see the difference, clearly. But don't replace the strut like that guy does--unless you have a turbo.

I actually removed my headlight to get the old upper strut out, and the new one in ....

Tim
Old 08 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I do understand the rocking nature of the selections of Park, Reverse, and drive. This rock is worse then that, I have viewed a few of the videos and mine has done the same things, rocks pretty bad. So I guess I get to spend the weekend working on it. Besides she needs some TLC anyway. Thank you for the help. Just need to figure which one it is.

Shaun
Old 10 Jun 2011, 12:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Beaker, do both at the same time--the top and bottom ones. The middle one rarely goes out. Autozone has them for fairly cheap--made by Duralast.

I have heard that if you let a bottom or top strut go too long, it puts an undue strain on the opposing strut--so both get busted ....

Just remember to use a floor jack and a block of wood to support the FRONT of your engine while changing these struts. Research this forum and there are instructions on how to do the job.

Tim
Old 10 Jun 2011, 02:02 pm
Regular Cruiser

I vote motor mount. Ya got 3 to look at.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Welp i replaced both the upper and lower engine mounts. Sheered a bold, fought with the a/c lines, found out the goof that had the car before me quick splice the ground for the strut ground. also found out the LCA bushings are dead, so thanks to this i haave a whole bunch of work for me now. I did at least fix the ground wire. soldered the wires together and liquid electrical taped it. i do thank everyone for the help though. on the NA that upper mount is no fun.

shaun
Old 11 Jun 2011, 10:48 pm
Senior Cruiser

Beaker, what bolt did you shear? I ask because my manual says to tighten the upper motor mount/strut tower 18mm bolt to 83 ft. lbs. I went as far as 65 ft lbs. and that seemed tight enough. And when I changed my top strut, I said to hell with the A/C lines and just pulled the headlight and took the strut and its motor-mount bracket through the headlight hole.

Tim
Old 11 Jun 2011, 10:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

one of the bolts near the lower engine mount, the brace that mounts near the strut to help support the suspension I guess. It was no big deal, Penetrating oil and vice grips took care of the problem. new bolt installed and working just fine. granted the a/c lines were a pain, but I am glad I did replace the mounts, they were pretty bad.