Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
shifting problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default shifting problems

I have a 06 pt cruiser with a 5 speed mannual transmission & when it is over 80 degrees outside it doesn't want to go into first or second gear when in traffic without force. In cooler weather there is no problem and it shifts very easy. Does anyone have an answer to this problem or have the same issues? Thanks...very frustrated!
Old 11 Jun 2011, 09:32 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: shifting problems

I'm no expert, but have been going through similar clutch problems on my '02. It has 174k on it, and has been a great car until recently with this clutch problem. At first it was intermittent. This was in the fall. It seemed to happen only after driving for a while. Maybe it was because of heat. I took it to the dealer, who said they replaced some seals. I got it home, and fluid leaked everywhere, and it was as bad as ever. Took it back, and they couldn't get it to misbehave. Said it was fine. Finally I drove there while it was malfunctioning. They replaced the slave cylinder. It worked fine for a while, and then completely gave out one day. Got it towed back to the dealer, and they fixed it for free this time. It worked fine until warmer weather hit recently. Started with the same problem. Having lost faith in the dealer, I took it to a different shop, who couldn't get it to malfunction. So I went to pick it up, and it was barely drive-able on the way home. I had to really force it into gear, and don't know how they couldn't have experienced the problem. So I took it to a third shop, this time a transmission place. They replaced the clutch. It worked fine for about a week. Now, it won't shift into 2nd or 4th. Can't anybody do decent work, and fix one of these things? It's the weekend, and I'm going to take it back to the last shop on Monday morning. At this point I've spent about $2k trying to fix this problem. So, I don't know what to tell you. I just hope you have better luck than I've had.

One thing that the transmission place told me was that if it will go into gear when you stop the engine, it is a certain part that spins, and it probably needs a new clutch. It stops spinning when you turn off the engine. When the problem got worse, I would have to stop the engine when waiting at a light, put it into gear, and then go. Just something to look for.
Old 12 Jun 2011, 11:04 am
Senior Cruiser

Check your shifter cables, eyelets on the cable ends the bushings were out, replace the bushings.

Check that the reservoir for the slave cylinder and make sure it is full of brake fluid.

Have you checked the ATF +4 fluid in the transaxle? You have changed it every 30K per the FSM??

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 18 Jun 2011, 11:46 pm
Young Cruiser

I just wanted to report back. I took the car back to the transmission shop. They took care of it pretty quickly. They said that a clip had come off of a cable. Hopefully it's fixed now.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PianoTunerCruiser View Post
I just wanted to report back. I took the car back to the transmission shop. They took care of it pretty quickly. They said that a clip had come off of a cable. Hopefully it's fixed now.
Thanks for posting your closure - glad it was an easy one.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Jun 2011, 01:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

My 07 is not shifting back to first position. The clutch is good for a change and the dealer is asking $1350 to fix the problem.

I will try to do some work this weekend on it and check if as read in other threads here this is not just a clip or a pedal to set tighter.

Hopefuly the dealer is a thief and I can fix it as easy as that...
Will let you know.
Old 25 Jul 2011, 08:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You can also see this posting for the same issue:

Stiff transmission when hot?

I hope this helps!