PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Looking for good engine upgrades

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2011, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Looking for good engine upgrades

Hello Everyone:

I have just decided to start upgrading my stock 05 base Cruiser. With all the experience here in the forum I was hoping to get some advice on what upgrades are worth the time and expense. I am not looking to break any speed records or run at a track but want to increase the performance. I have been looking to possibly add a K&N cold air intake as well as wondering about an exhaust system. What other mods work well in the real world without breaking the bank and what should I look to avoid?

Thanks in Advance,

RJ
Old 09 Jun 2011, 08:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Looking for good engine upgrades

The K&N dropin filter is a good investment.You wont be able to get much more power out of an NA PT Cruiser.I say just save your money for cosmetic stuff because you have about as much power as you will ever get from it.
Old 09 Jun 2011, 08:37 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Do not touch your coil, no matter what anyone tells you, leave it be. Replace your plug wires and your plugs, then look to many entries on these forums about the proper gap for an NA PT. Pull your throttle body and give it a very good cleaning before re-installing it. Run a can of Seafoam through your gas tank. That's just the beginning...

Another thing, keep your engine and undercarriage clean! Does a couple of things for you - reduces the amount of crud you are carrying around with you, and if you should get any kind of leak it's usually easy to detect. I drive the front end up on a set of RhinoRamps (see pic below), crawl underneath and spray Simple Green on everything, then gentle jet wash it off. Stays clean as a whistle. Same for the engine except I use foil to cover the electronics and battery. Then I use a spray bottle with a couple drops of dish soap in a solution of 50% water, 50% vinegar, and spray down my battery, then gently rinse it off. This keeps from tossing harmful crud off the battery on other engine parts, the vinegar retards the acid from etching anything, and even though it smells, well it's clean. I usually do the battery first so that I can give it a simple rinse afterwards to get rid of the smell. I don't hardly notice it.

The reason I use RhinoRamps, well they are lighter than my steel one's, and my car is lowered and the front end will not go up the average ramps without hitting. The Rhino's don't have that problem.

Last edited by Chromenut; 09 Jun 2011 at 08:48 pm.
Old 09 Jun 2011, 09:51 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Wherever you do, make sure you don't go over the Rhino Ramps...I've seen that TWICE