PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Help no spark 2002 pt cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jun 2011, 10:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Help no spark 2002 pt cruiser

Hi, i am new to this forum and have a 2002 pt cruiser limited that gets spark once or twice and then stops. i dont really know these cars so i dont know what could be the problem. i am getting fuel pressure, change cam sensor,crank sensor and also swapped coil packs with another 2002 pt cruiser limited i have. i dont know if this has anything to do with anything but the car got a little too hot on the way back home, well anyways let it cool down started right up, put it outside and come back to it 3-4 hours later and it didnt start (was also raining at the time). Well i really would like to get this car started and have no clue what it could be so please help! thanks alot

Zack
Old 10 Jun 2011, 05:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Help no spark 2002 pt cruiser

Did you check power to the coil? There's 3 wires there, one's power, and two are grounds from the PCM (to turn on and off each coil). You might have a bad ASD relay if power goes away. See if you're losing ground or power.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 05:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Changed the ASD relay also.... Well i checked the coil and i am getting power out of the middle wire! Is there a way to check the ground to see if its working??? What else could it be?? Thanks alot
Old 11 Jun 2011, 09:57 pm
Regular Cruiser

You can check the ground with a simple test light. There should be power there while cranking, which you said you have. The PCM then pulses the ground to make the spark. Hook the test light clamp to the positive battery terminal and the light itself to either ground wire. If the test light is flickering but the spark goes away, you have another bad coil. If the pulses go away with spark, then it likely is an input to the PCM or the PCM itself.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 05:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well i replaced the computer anyways and put the vin and programed it by chrysler... anyways only one ground has spark from the coil the blue one with a stripe does not ( i will let you know exactly what colour the stripe is.... could it be something with the security?? it had an aftermarket system and i took it out after it didnt start thinking its that.. could it still be something like that??? it has fuel pressure and what not...please let me know thanks
Old 16 Jun 2011, 07:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

Nothing with the factory security, it is fuel kill only. On the aftermarket side, anything is possible.

So, dark green/orange is your ASD positive wire. Dk. Blue/tan is one coil's ground triggered by the PCM and the black/grey is the other coil's ground trigger.

If you're saying the blue/tan wire is not flickering your test light while cranking, you need to check the resistance of your wire next. That's pin 3 in your C1 connector at the PCM. If infinite resistance, you have an open. If you have good continuity, you could check for short to ground (that should light up your test light all the time however). And if still find nothing, wiggle the wires close to the connector while checking resistance (this is where problems usually occur).
Old 16 Jun 2011, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i am getting a 0.3 resistance...
Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:38 pm
Regular Cruiser

.3 ohm resistance is good. Try wiggling the connector with your ohmeter hooked up and see if the resistance changes. You're checking it while cranking, right? Test light with clamp hooked to positive terminal and test light on blue/tan wire? No flicker?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 09:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

So if no flicker and the wire is good, I would say an input to the PCM is your problem. You said you changed your crank and cam sensor so perhaps you jumped a few teeth on your timing belt. Do you have no codes. I might at this point take your upper timing cover off and check your timing.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Should it flicker or should it stay on solid....