Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Shifter stiff, well fix it don't wait!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2011, 01:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Shifter stiff, well fix it don't wait!!

My poor baby just got a flatbed ride to my mechanic. My shifter had been stiff for the last few weeks and I had picked up some grease the other day and was going to follow a link on this site on how to fix it, but it was like 98 out and I was sweating just thinking about it. Plus with the hot weather it wasn't all that stiff anymore and I needed to get other crap done, so I put it off.

So today I go down to the post office and I'm backing in to a spot and all the sudden my car is stuck in reverse and my shifter moves too freely. So I'm 2 miles from home with a pair of pliers and screw driver. So I called a tow truck and off to the station. Given directions and the right tools I can do most minor repairs and maintenance myself. But I know my limitations.

Instructions on greasing the linkage.....don't wait.

Hard shifting and no start fixed

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 11 Jun 2011, 12:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Shifter stiff, well fix it don't wait!!

You know what my shifter was stiff since I got the PT, but I thought it was normal until it got worse. My mechanic replaced the cable and it moves so easy now. The old cable was in bad shape, he tried putting back on but it would come off again. Oh well I'm glad it's new I will be on vacation soon and I'm doing a lot of driving and don't want to get stuck anywhere.

I was looking online and it seems this is a problem with the PT.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 11 Jun 2011, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Shifter stiff, well fix it don't wait!!

Only with 5 speeds!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar