Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC problem, need some advice!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jun 2011, 02:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC problem, need some advice!

Took my 04 Touring Edition in to the shop I have most of my work done at, to have the AC serviced. Test confirmed that the high side hose was leaking, so they ordered and installed the new hose, and retested. Now, the pressure builds on the high and low side, then drops, then builds again. The technician says that there might be a blockage of some kind in the system, and said I'll need to take it to the Chrysler dealer to have them flush it out, and refill it. I don't know enough about the AC system to know if this is correct.

He said some systems have a removable/replaceable filter to clear the problem, but the PT does not have this. This is the first time for servicing the AC in this car, last year it would put out cold air at speed but not idling in traffic. Now, I have zero cold air.

Is this technician correct?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: AC problem, need some advice!

Well, I took the car to Chrysler, and the technician there said that my problem is the cooling fan. It is not coming on high when the AC is turned on, so the pressure builds in the system until it hits 500psi, then vents the R134a to the atmosphere. He said everything else in the system checks out fine.

The main kicker is that they quoted me $ 560 to replace the cooling fan and recharge the system, parts and labor, plus tax. That's a little steep, to me, but, what can I do? I want my AC working for summer.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, we've seen some pretty unreasonable prices from the dealer for that job. If you can do any work for yourself, you can save a bunch of money. Fan and housing can be bought for about $100 and of course you labor would be free. It would take about 2-3 hours since you've never done it your self.

Ebay has the fan and housing. They are all about the same. Make sure you order from a reputable seller and get the fan and housing for your particular PT.

I made up a "how to" for replacing the fan and housing for the 01-05 cruiser. I see you have a non-turbo 2004 so the instructions should work.

Good Luck.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Yes, we've seen some pretty unreasonable prices from the dealer for that job. If you can do any work for yourself, you can save a bunch of money. Fan and housing can be bought for about $100 and of course you labor would be free. It would take about 2-3 hours since you've never done it your self.

Ebay has the fan and housing. They are all about the same. Make sure you order from a reputable seller and get the fan and housing for your particular PT.

I made up a "how to" for replacing the fan and housing for the 01-05 cruiser. I see you have a non-turbo 2004 so the instructions should work.

Good Luck.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT
Cool! Thanks for the info! For the money savings, I will try to do it myself, and then have the unit charged where I ordinarily get my work done.

Again, thanks!
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your welcome. Good luck. Come back with any questions if my instructions aren't clear.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Your welcome. Good luck. Come back with any questions if my instructions aren't clear.

The instructions seem clear. I do have a question. Are there separate relays for the high and low speed or are they built in to the fan assembly? If they are separate, could one or both of them be my problem? I know the low speed cooling fan comes on, and I've never had an overheating problem.

Last edited by nobodysfool55; 14 Jun 2011 at 09:49 am.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 10:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

In the black box under the air filter, it contains the fuses and relays for the car. You also have some fuses in the interior of the car by your left knee.

The high speed relay for the fan (labeled "F") in the picture below controls the high speed part of the fan. To see if it's working, replace that relay (F) with the horn relay (A). Make sure the horn works first. All relays are the same and can be switched around. To tell the truth, don't think I've ever heard of the high speed replay going bad. It's always (99.9%) the fault of the fan motor that goes bad.They have brushes inside the fan that wear out. The low speed fan relay, for some reason, is a little different that the high speed.

If you rather take the motor apart and replace the brushes, we have a app for that. Only kidding. We do have a "How To" write-up to show you how to replace the brushes.

Old 14 Jun 2011, 10:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
In the black box under the air filter, it contains the fuses and relays for the car. You also have some fuses in the interior of the car by your left knee.

The high speed relay for the fan (labeled "F") in the picture below controls the high speed part of the fan. To see if it's working, replace that relay (F) with the horn relay (A). Make sure the horn works first. All relays are the same and can be switched around. To tell the truth, don't think I've ever heard of the high speed replay going bad. It's always (99.9%) the fault of the fan motor that goes bad.They have brushes inside the fan that wear out. The low speed fan relay, for some reason, is a little different that the high speed.

If you rather take the motor apart and replace the brushes, we have a app for that. Only kidding. We do have a "How To" write-up to show you how to replace the brushes.

OK, just was thinking (I know, that can be dangerous....) and trying to cover all the bases. Thanks for the help!