PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New alternator not charging, how to check ECM? P0622

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 May 2018, 12:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: New alternator not charging, how to check ECM? P0622

Well, I put the green PT up on the ramps, and inspected the wires running by the inner CV boot....and there was a worn spot as predicted. Now to get that repaired, and on to the next thing, likely an oil change is up next.

Thanks again for finding where to look on that wire.
rockandroller likes this.
auto trans.
242,000 km

2 project.
2001 Limited Edition
2.4l NA
auto trans.
155,000 km
Old 15 Dec 2020, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

imalittleturt & all the others: good show here, & many thanks for the dedication, help & above all - persistance.

We experienced this same problem today @ dusk (red "battery" lamp glowing on instrument cluster & P0622) & I now have 1 burning question: Did the vehicle ever stall-out on any of you gents?

Reason being - I'm rather reluctant to get on the freeway at 8pm w/ it in this condition. Thanks in advance!
Old 15 Dec 2020, 11:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelthySanchez View Post
imalittleturt & all the others: good show here, & many thanks for the dedication, help & above all - persistance.

We experienced this same problem today @ dusk (red "battery" lamp glowing on instrument cluster & P0622) & I now have 1 burning question: Did the vehicle ever stall-out on any of you gents?

Reason being - I'm rather reluctant to get on the freeway at 8pm w/ it in this condition. Thanks in advance!
If the battery voltage gets below 11 volts with the headlights on most likely the engine would die. Even if your battery was fully charged I would not take it On the freeway with the battery not charging at night.
Old 16 Dec 2020, 06:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Heads up - This thread began 9 years ago, most of these members are inactive now. That being said, yeah, below 11 volts and it'll die.
Old 18 Dec 2020, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We're aware of the vintage post, & any possible issues therein.
Appreciate all the input here, & please be advised that it never died under headlight load. Did not push my luck w/ those high-beams, tho.

As I pound-away upon the keyboard here, it's now 1+ day overdue from the shop where I took it: the owner called on Wednesday afternoon & advised that he had tried 2 different new alternators, & it would be ready sometime on Thursday.
It's now Friday am, & I've nothing more to report upon.

For the record, he was advised upon dropoff (2 days prior) to consider the cause of this post (the frayed, abraded wire loom & P0622) as a logical place to begin repairs.
He was then in agreement, so thanks again to all & stay tuned if still interested.

Last edited by FeelthySanchez; 18 Dec 2020 at 12:41 pm.