PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Flushed the coolant today, got questions.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2011, 04:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Flushed the coolant today, got questions.

Alright so today ive flushed the cooling system and what not... Ive also removed the uim and spark plugs, fou d a little bit of oil on spark plug 1.

No big deal, ill take care of that.

I nevrr checked the fluids since ive owned e car, I took it to a big name mecha ic and he gave it a great one over and im assuming at that point all my fluids were normal... He did say there was a very small oil leak elsewhere or someone spilled oil on the engine.. He said he couldnt find it unless he cleaned the engine real good...

Well turns out two days ago I looked and my coolant tank was either empty or impossible to see the coolant in there, also my oil dipstick read well below the crisscrossed area!

So ive taken off the tstat and its gunky to crap, the coolant under the radiator cap was murky as crap too. Obviously the coolant has never been flushed or something...

So i proceeded woth my flush, the fluid drained from the radiator was a normal yellow green color with some specks of im assuming rust...

However when I was flushing the coolant tank I noticed the water on the ground had that rainbow color to it similar to oil, t make sure it wasnt a dirty driveway I caught some of it in my hand coming from the coolant tank and sure enough the rainbow effect...

Now ill say that theres no visible oil in the coolant that I KNOW of and the pan I caught the coolant in is unreliable as I use it for oil changes, but the oil in the pan that was left clearly separated from the coolant.. Which brings me to why was the coolant so murky from the radiator cap and tank but not so much so while I was draining...

Now I may just be a worry wart and heck maybe coolant makes a slight rainbow when a little is added to water... And maybe e rainbow effect was some additive someo e put in it...

S for now ill flush and pray its not something like a cracked head or whatever and maybe it was just me... God forbid if ive got exhaust or oil getting in my coolant..

Also that hanging down hose towards the top of the tank connected to nothing, is that an overflow hose?

But what do you guys think overall?

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jun 2011, 04:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Flushed the coolant today, got questions.

You said: "So i proceeded woth my flush, the fluid drained from the radiator was a normal yellow green color with some specks of im assuming rust.."
IMO somebody already flushed the radiator before and used the wrong coolant, it supposed to be orange (OEM) or clear (Zerex G-05). Using the wrong coolant may damage your engine because it's not compatible with Chrysler's metals and in my experience you will get more rust.
If I were you I would "back flush it" and put the good coolant ( 1/2 distilled water-1/2 coolant)
Old 11 Jun 2011, 04:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
You said: "So i proceeded woth my flush, the fluid drained from the radiator was a normal yellow green color with some specks of im assuming rust.."
IMO somebody already flushed the radiator before and used the wrong coolant, it supposed to be orange (OEM) or clear (Zerex G-05). Using the wrong coolant may damage your engine because it's not compatible with Chrysler's metals and in my experience you will get more rust.
If I were you I would "back flush it" and put the good coolant ( 1/2 distilled water-1/2 coolant)

I agree, if you want it flushed out real good buy the proper stuff and take it to Jiffy lube or another place with the machine that does it and have them really get it clean. Just watch them like a hawk and make sure they use only your stuff. I used the Zerex g-05 and it's clear. I wouldn't freak though they say that the 100k mile green stuff is suppose to be good but why take chances.

In case like me you can't find it local

http://www.drillspot.com/products/35...freeze_Coolant

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 11 Jun 2011, 04:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

So most are saying not to worry about the rainbow effect (familiarized with oil in water) in the water coming out of the coolant flush ill do a back flush and ill use the correct coolant... And just to think autozone tried to get me out the door with the neon green stuff

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 11 Jun 2011, 05:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I would flush it good first and then drive it for a while and check if you have oil in the new coolant. I usually check it when I buy a used car by sticking a white rag or paper towel in the radiator to see if the coolant has oil.
Old 11 Jun 2011, 05:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Maybe you should check your fluids once in a while--after this! I check mine every couple of weeks--and the day before I go on a long trip. Anyone who doesn't is just counting rainbows ....

Tim
Old 11 Jun 2011, 06:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

Haha, typically I check all fluids, im a fluid freak but ive been so busy pimpin my ride and forgot bout the fluids lol.

If the coolant gets oil in it (if it was oil and not a coolant additive) how does those liquiD stop leak stuff work? I would eventually chenge the asket but would it work atleast temp?

Old 11 Jun 2011, 07:18 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

I never tried that, sorry
Old 11 Jun 2011, 09:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well I reinstalledthe plugs today and did some deep engine cleaning. To orrow in reassembling the uim and throttle. I sure hope to god that the crap in the coolant was just nastiness or a coolant addItive... Going to napa tomorrow to fiNd the right coolant for the PT.

And how dumb is it that the thermosats in such a hard t get to place! How am I supposed to start the engine to run my flush through if I had to take the uim off to get to the tstat!

Old 11 Jun 2011, 10:52 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

If you don't find Zerex G-05 at Napa, try Carquest