Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C HEADACHE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jun 2011, 08:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C HEADACHE

Had the suction line replaced in my cruiser in hopes of solving my A/C problem... it was slowly losing its cool. When charged, it blows cold(some time for days) then I swear I hear a pop from under the hood and within hours its blowing warm air again. I have seen freon leaking from the compressor area, but at the time could not see where it was coming from. Saw a post from Crewzin about a screw in valve on the underside of the compressor but can't find it. Could that be the source of the popping noise and leak. Can anyone shoot me in the right direction, don't really want to spend another $$$$ at the dealer! Appreciate all the help from this group! (it's hot down here in Texas!)
Old 12 Jun 2011, 03:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C HEADACHE

Hi. I'm up in Virginia now with the grandkids. Be back in Florida on the forum regularly starting Tuesday.

The valve in the compressor is the high pressure switch/valve and when the pressure gets to high, like when the fan isn't working properly, that valve will pop open and let pressure out of the system by releasing some of the R134a into the atmosphere. Check to see if both speeds of the fan are working and the correct pressures are in the A/C system.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 05:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just a quick update, took the cruiser to the shop and the o-rings were bad. So $200 later I finally have a/c in Texas.... burning hot here!
Old 15 Jul 2011, 05:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bad "O" rings would allow freon (R134a) to escape put wouldn't make the compressor build up pressure and POP. OH well, if it's fixed and your happy, that's all that matters.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 07:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, cool & happy .... now on to the motor mount replacements! This forum has saved me a ton of $$$$.... thanks to all!
Old 18 Jul 2011, 09:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

The headache is back. One day after the mechanic replaced 2 o-rings.... it's blowing warm air(103 in Texas)! He did a UV leak test and repair for $200..... back to him tomorrow.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 09:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sounds like you still have a leak somewhere.

Old 18 Jul 2011, 10:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yep.... hope they don't charge $200+ again
Old 18 Jul 2011, 10:53 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkid View Post
Yep.... hope they don't charge $200+ again
If they checked it out and didnt repair it right then they "should" work with you on the price.They should at least not charge for another leak test.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 11:49 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidkid View Post
The headache is back. One day after the mechanic replaced 2 o-rings.... it's blowing warm air(103 in Texas)! He did a UV leak test and repair for $200..... back to him tomorrow.

Make sure the fan is working right, is the PT running hot at all?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson