Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Unbelievable Dealer Price!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2011, 10:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Unbelievable Dealer Price!!!!

Found out my radiator fan is not working on high and my dealer quoted me $964.00 to fix!!! I purchased the car from them about 3 months ago so they told me they would knock off $200.00 for the repair!! What a joke!!

I have found a new replacement fan with a lifetime warranty for less than $60.00 shipped to me and it looks as though it is only an hour or so job.

I cannot believe the dealer told me the fan was nearly $400.00 through them and the other $364.00 is labor. The ASE book probably doesn't call for more than and hour for the repair.

How disappointing it is to know that they are ripping off others who don't have the skill to fix their own car. Especially in a small town like I live in who are mostly just getting by.

Guess I should feel lucky to be able to repair myself. RJ
Old 12 Jun 2011, 10:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Unbelievable Dealer Price!!!!

WOW...that's why we call it the "stealership" Its only six bolts to change it
Old 13 Jun 2011, 12:36 am
Senior Cruiser

Hm? You don't just remove the bolts that hold the fan on. You have to do a bit more than that. But to save $500.00+, it would be a good idea to invest in a Hayne's Manual, and just follow their instructions ....

Tim
Old 13 Jun 2011, 01:01 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i agree with both guys, that IS why we call it the stealership, and the haynes manual will come in handy.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

I purchased the Haynes manual when I first bought the car, I have found the information invaluable with each car I have owned. It is a great resource.

It is just hard to believe how much a dealership would charge for such a simple repair. Even with the removal of the grill, upper radiator support and hose, it shouldn't take that long. Lucky for them the usury laws are no longer in effect or they would be going to the klink!! lol

RJ
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:20 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Hm? You don't just remove the bolts that hold the fan on. You have to do a bit more than that. But to save $500.00+, it would be a good idea to invest in a Hayne's Manual, and just follow their instructions ....

Tim
Sorry.....unplug the fan, suck some coolant out and disconnect the upper radiator hose ...and if you don't have enough room to remove the fan you may have to remove the upper radiator support and grille. Better now?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 08:21 am
Young Cruiser

Can I ask where online did you purchase the fan motor from?? Going through this at the moment. I'm in the UK and my local Chrysler dealer will only sell the fan as a complete unit (fan and motor), comes in at equivalent of $450. Have looked into just replacing the brushes - $60, so if I can get a motor shipped for just a little more, will go that route.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 10:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanjack View Post
Can I ask where online did you purchase the fan motor from?? Going through this at the moment. I'm in the UK and my local Chrysler dealer will only sell the fan as a complete unit (fan and motor), comes in at equivalent of $450. Have looked into just replacing the brushes - $60, so if I can get a motor shipped for just a little more, will go that route.
You can get them on ebay for that price and Amazon, and I'm sure other places. Not sure about the shipping to the UK though.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 13 Jun 2011, 11:20 am
Young Cruiser

I can get one from rockauto delivered to the UK for $96 inc shipping. But it is the cheapest fan motor of the two they supply. Just wondered where the OP got his from, as it has a lifetime warranty, which sounds a better fan for roughly the same price.

Last edited by swanjack; 13 Jun 2011 at 11:24 am.
Old 13 Jun 2011, 11:43 am
Banned

I had sort of the same issue.

I bought the PT about 3 weeks ago from a dealer, maybe not that long.

Test drove the car, AC was not putting out cold air at idle, surging a bit too. I knew what the problem was, experienced this with the Saturn, radiator fan.

We agreed on a price, and told the salesman, when you get the car fixed give me a call. He was saying I could buy it now, and can get a service ticket for you, blah blah.

I stood my ground and said no.

We came back to test drive it a few days later, something in the front suspension was clunking as we backed up and turned the wheel left to back up, also happened at braking.

Same thing, told them to fix this, and call me again.

A few days later, they finally got it right, I am not a very trusting person when it comes to dealerships.

Not only were both parts replaced, I also get a 12/12k mile warranty on the parts and labor.

I know its easy to believe them and when you really want the vehicle....