Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cooling Fan Operation - clarification

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Jun 2011, 02:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cooling Fan Operation - clarification

'01 2.4, non-turbo. I have a question that maybe can clear up some confusion I have after reading several threads concerning the cooling fan. The threads have read that the cooling fan should always be on when the A/C is on. However in a PT Service Manual (PDF) I downloaded from a link on this forum on page 7-53 it states the cooling fan will come on when the coolant temp reaches 180 deg F. Is the actual real world function different, such as the fan should always be on with the A/C on regardless of engine temp? Just asking, as mentioned I'm confused with this info and any insight would be welcomed as I am diagnosing a rough idle that may be A/C related (as I have read ona a few threads).
Old 16 Jun 2011, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cooling Fan Operation - clarification

Quite sure it is both - comes on with engine temp and with A/C.
Also with A/C, the idle speed (IAC - input air controller) should go up about 100 RPM - the IAC is a solenoid attached to throttle body and can be taken off and cleaned. Have you replaced plugs & wires recently? That's most common cause of rought idle, next is an intake gasket leak - shoot carb cleaner, WD-40, or spray start along intake seams - if idle smooths out, it's gasket.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Jun 2011, 03:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, your right that the fan doesn't come on till the coolant reaches a particular degree but it fails to mention that as soon as the A/C is activated, no matter what degree the coolant is, the fan should come on. There's some discussion weather it's the high or low speed that comes on when the A/C is activated but most agree it's the low speed. Then when the coolant reaches a higher degree, the high speed should kicks on if everything is working correctly.

Also, just to throw this in, the fan goes off when the cruiser reaches a speed of about 35 mph as enough air should be coming in to the front end to keep things cool.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 16 Jun 2011, 04:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks this helps and I did just replace the plugs recently plus plugs & wires & IAC motor two years ago (dealer items). I recently cleaned throttle body & IAC motor as well when installing the new plugs. Are the dealer wires sufficient or should I try aftermaket?
Old 16 Jun 2011, 04:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Funny you should ask. We always tell everyone to buy from the dealer any electrical item but when it comes to wires, it seems the aftermarket is best.

But after saying that, my first change of wires was to the blue MOPAR Performance wires off eBay and never had any problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.