Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Anyone ever heard of this one...I thought it was a timing belt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jun 2011, 09:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Anyone ever heard of this one...I thought it was a timing belt

I picked up a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited for a price couldn't pass up about 6 months ago its been a great 2nd car so far...I had always wanted one. A couple days ago I was leaving for work turned at a stop sign about a mile from home and about 50 feet past the engine just died...tried to start it and it wouldn't but I noticed a dull bumping sound like plastic hitting plastic...got it towed home, jacked it up and found the timing belt felt wiggly...so I figured the timing belt had snapped. Its the 2.4l so I got lucky there, but after hours of disassembling I found the belt hadn't broken but instead the tensioner pulley bolt had snapped off and the tensioner pulley was just free floating. I've got a friend coming over with a tap and die set to try and get the bolt out of the block but wondered if anyone else has had something similar happen and maybe have a better suggestion for extraction? I'm a little paranoid about the whole thing now....
Old 17 Jun 2011, 10:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of this one...I thought it was a timing belt

You're suppose to replace it when doing the timing belt, if your going to replace it you might as well to the belt and the water pump because you don't want to rip into it twice. I never heard of anyone having one snap off.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 18 Jun 2011, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

yea im replacing all the belts, the waterpump, the tensioner and the other pulley...just kinda perplexed I have never seen that happen...trying to figure out the best way to get the bolt extracted.
Old 03 Jul 2011, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey guys, I have a question on this topic. Couple days ago my Power Steering / A/C Tensioner shredded the belt on my 2001 PT Cruiser Touring. Getting a new belt and tensioner wasn't difficult. However, upon getting the original 2001 tensioner off, it had rusted on there solid... found out the tensioner they sold me was not the correct part. Returned the part, found out that no one seems to know WHAT the correct part is for a 2001 PTC... as the wrong part is the only part they have in the computers.

Can anyone help me find the correct part for my PTC??
Old 03 Jul 2011, 10:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuntoka View Post
Hey guys, I have a question on this topic. Couple days ago my Power Steering / A/C Tensioner shredded the belt on my 2001 PT Cruiser Touring. Getting a new belt and tensioner wasn't difficult. However, upon getting the original 2001 tensioner off, it had rusted on there solid... found out the tensioner they sold me was not the correct part. Returned the part, found out that no one seems to know WHAT the correct part is for a 2001 PTC... as the wrong part is the only part they have in the computers.

Search here: Chrysler PT Cruiser Parts - The Official PT Cruiser Parts eStore offered by Chrysler
Old 03 Jul 2011, 11:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by apester View Post
I picked up a 2001 PT Cruiser Limited for a price couldn't pass up about 6 months ago its been a great 2nd car so far...I had always wanted one. A couple days ago I was leaving for work turned at a stop sign about a mile from home and about 50 feet past the engine just died...tried to start it and it wouldn't but I noticed a dull bumping sound like plastic hitting plastic...got it towed home, jacked it up and found the timing belt felt wiggly...so I figured the timing belt had snapped. Its the 2.4l so I got lucky there, but after hours of disassembling I found the belt hadn't broken but instead the tensioner pulley bolt had snapped off and the tensioner pulley was just free floating. I've got a friend coming over with a tap and die set to try and get the bolt out of the block but wondered if anyone else has had something similar happen and maybe have a better suggestion for extraction? I'm a little paranoid about the whole thing now....

they changed the style of the tensioner in i think 04 to a better design im guessing this is one of the reasons
Old 04 Jul 2011, 12:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

Yeah, there is a first design and second design - both parts are still available, you just need to know which one you've got.
Old 04 Jul 2011, 12:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Anyone ever heard of this one...I thought it was a timing belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuntoka View Post

you can get your cruiser parts from RockAuto Auto Parts they are one of the cheapest and very fast on delivery
Old 04 Jul 2011, 04:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

You aren't alone in being confused on the tensioner;

My old 2001 had several choices. Rockauto even had a retrofit kit for one style.

The type that came with my vehicle was a simple, one bolt, contained unit.

Other types had an aluminum bracket included.

Identify the piece that came off and order from RockAuto.

Make absolutely sure you get TOP quality parts for belt, water pump, etc.

I got my PT for $200 because the 'new' water pump went out!

Tags
broken bolt, tensioner, timing belt