Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My 01 Limited is Sad and Stumbly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2011, 05:55 am
Regular Cruiser

Default My 01 Limited is Sad and Stumbly

The last 2 weeks I have been experiencing some odd stumbling and seemingly having a power loss issues.

No error codes

When driving at anything above 45 mph if you lightly try to accelerate instead of going faster it stumbles.
If I approach a hill and need to apply gas, it stumbles and sometimes barely makes it up a hill.

If I give it enough gas(depress the pedal a lot more than normal) I can at best hold speed on an incline, but not gain/increase speed.

On level road;

It seems to only be an issue when I apply light pressure to the pedal, if I gas it enough the power comes up fine.
I can pass just fine and normal from a stop acceleration is good.
Idle seems spot on as well.

I hoped it was just a bit of gum and ran a can of seafoam already but no joy.

137,000 miles, always kept up the obvious stuff, plugs, oil, yada yada.

Any idea's?
Old 18 Jun 2011, 06:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: My 01 Limited is Sad and Stumbly

Sounds like a blockage and I can think of two things. the CAT and the fuel injectors.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 06:49 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Sounds like a blockage and I can think of two things. the CAT and the fuel injectors.

It does seem to feel like that, but why would the cat go? I always use decent fuel.(BP & Mobil)

Also, it is worse when hot & humid. On cool dry days I really do not notice it or its minimally a problem.
My temp gauge reads normal.

Tell you what though, If I turn on the air its terrible. I thought it was going to die yesterday (88 degree & 90% humidity)

Is there any way to find out if its the cat without actually buying one?
Old 18 Jun 2011, 06:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The car would have to be put on a lift to visually inspect the CAT to see if the insides are breaking apart. It happened on my Corvette. The internals broke up and came out the back and partially clogged the "Y" pipe near the end of the exhaust.

Is the car overheating at all. You mentioned that the condition is worse with the A/C on. You might have a radiator fan problem. When the high speed part of the fan stops working, it causes a number of conditions because of the heat buildup.

To tell the truth, at that kind of high mileage, there's a possibility that almost any part that's stock and hasn't been replaced could be at fault. I'd spend a little money and have the engine scanned/diagnosed to see that everything is working properly.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 07:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Nope, no overheat issues at all. The fan seems to work just like it was new.

I had a radiator installed at about 80,000 due to a drip/leak after a stone hit it. It had a complete flush new thermostat at 110,000 miles.Cam Sensor was replaced at around 120,000 miles
Also New plugs, Wires, Air Filter you know, all the normal stuff are done as needed.

I have been using this one a lot less than usual lately, It is sort of our backup/go-to due to the age.
I use it more to run out Shopping, Cruising, Going out and stuff.
I use my 08 just for work.
Up until about 2 weeks ago it was still awesome, I actually like it better than my 08. More Zoom!
But no more

Edit,

If I turn my air on its like the load makes it worse, It is very noticeable when I turn it off as well.
Yesterday I was driving with it off, turned it on, and the hills were brutal!
Soon as I turned it off, it was still bad, just not AS bad.

Last edited by Sarasmiles; 18 Jun 2011 at 07:20 am.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 07:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The computer itself is supposed to turn up the idle and compensate with other adjustments when the A/C is turned on so the load of the A/C doesn't take away from the engine power. Sounds like it might not be dong that.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 07:34 am
Regular Cruiser

I guess that is possible,

I know if I cycle the air on and off in the driveway the idle stays stable but it never occurred to me it might have an issue at speed.
When the air is on, out at highway speeds it has always seemingly had less power, If I pass anyone out on the old county blacktops I always turned it off.

Its just different now, The potato in the exhaust pipe kind of different.

I'll run out and get it scanned.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 09:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Thought of you as I read this:
sputtering/surging issue
Try the EGR valve.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles