PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Timing belt DIY how-to tips needed...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2011, 10:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Timing belt DIY how-to tips needed...

Background - My stepson owns a 2004 non-turbo PT Cruiser, auto tranny, with 67k miles. A couple of months ago it threw a P0340 code - camshaft position sensor. Since he is not mechanically inclined I changed the sensor out for him and all has been well until now. He had finished fueling at a station and went to start it and nothing - engine spun over but would not fire. Did the ignition key 3-click and the odometer showed P0340 again, so I pulled the sensor (original Chrysler) and exchanged it for a new one, installed it and tried again. Still no start and still code P0340. Uh-oh! So, with the sensor pulled I had him spin the starter while I watched the end of the exposed camshaft - no movement. I removed the 3 screws attaching the upper timing belt cover and tried to remove it but it seems stuck, but using a flat blade screwdriver I was able to hold it back enough to see the timing belt still in place. I had him spin the starter again and saw that the timing belt remained still - no movement.

So, my assumption is that the belt has stripped teeth. Is this common at 67k miles? I've read that this is a non-interference engine and that although there is a possibility of valve-to-valve contact with a broken TB that it is not common.

Searching and reading through threads here it appears that a timing belt kit with belt, idler, tensioner and water pump would be the way to go. I've found a Gates kit at rockauto.com - #TCKWP265A - containing all these parts. Can someone confirm that this is the correct kit?

Finally, can anyone tell me if a Haynes manual would contain sufficient instructions for doing a TB change on this vehicle? Or is there a DIY site on the web that would have that info?

I apologize for the length of this, my first post, but due to economics this has got to be a DIY job. I'm a VW diesel guy (interference engine) and have done 6 TB jobs on those vehicles. Not a difficult job, just very time consuming. I assume this job is much the same, but any "tricks" you could advise me of will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by visionlogic; 07 Jul 2011 at 09:22 am. Reason: To correct vehicle mileage.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 10:57 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Timing belt DIY how-to tips needed...

Welcome to the forum.

I was going to suggest to check the wiring harness to the camshaft sensor as a few of us had problems with the harness rubbing against something and cutting a wire or two but since you see no movement on the belt, it's a pretty good change you have the right diagnosis.

A lot of us did use the kits from Rock Auto but I can't say if you have the correct kit but it sounds correct.

The belt isn't an easy job and especially getting it all back together right. Make sure the marks on the uppers sprockets are lined up exactly. Many owners have come back to the forum with problems because they couldn't line the belt up correctly.

Anyway, if you go to the top of the Tech & Performance part of the forum and look for the "HOW TO" thread, you should see at least one and maybe two threads on the procedures to go through to change the belt. Good luck.

For reference ....

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 18 Jun 2011 at 11:01 am.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you CREWZIN! Many thanks! At this point I'm not looking forward to this, but what must be, must be. But, nothing worth knowing is easy.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 11:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

In case it doesn't stick out in the HOW TO section, here's a thread from another forum that I posted inside one of the threads in our HOW TO section.

ever replace timing belt in a pt cruiser
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
In case it doesn't stick out in the HOW TO section, here's a thread from another forum that I posted inside one of the threads in our HOW TO section.

ever replace timing belt in a pt cruiser

Thank you. I found both links you referenced in the HOW TO section.

It appears that it is the typical loosen a lot of stuff, remove or push and hold it out of the way, jimmy the engine up-down/left-right to get some working room, and do it. I'll have to take a closer look and familiarize myself with the alignment of the crank snout gear vis-a-vis the 2 camshaft gears when letting the tensioner tighten up the belt slack to insure all stay at their TDC marks.

At least I won't have to replace a bevy of 'always replace' torque-to-yield bolts like I do on the VW's.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 12:28 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

And put a couple of marks on the belts an pulleys and transfer them to the new belt, so you don't have any problems with timing.

Here is a better explanation, (check on step # 4):

Timing Belt Change Hints and Tricks (Picture Warning!)!)
Old 18 Jun 2011, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmDC2 View Post
And put a couple of marks on the belts an pulleys and transfer them to the new belt, so you don't have any problems with timing.

Here is a better explanation, (check on step # 4):

Timing Belt Change Hints and Tricks (Picture Warning!)!)
If it "slipped" it won't be any use in marking the old belt and transferring those marks to the new one.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Jun 2011, 01:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You'r right holligan...my bad...Too much wine last night
Old 18 Jun 2011, 01:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

XtrimDC2, Thanks. I've added that into the HOW TO section.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 07:50 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

What did you add? That I had too much wine last night? LOL