Advertisements
Draining Radiator

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mdfrodolives

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jun 2011, 09:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Draining Radiator

Good Morning, I need to drain my radiator and am wondering about opening the fitting. I have turned it about 45 degrees and it has seemed to stop cold. Is it just stuck or is it a pull out type. Please help, I don't want to break it!!

Thanks,
RJ
Old 18 Jun 2011, 11:18 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Re: Draining Radiator

Just twist it to the left. No pulling needed. It might be tight but it should turn like 1 and a half turn

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jun 2011, 11:30 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Make sure you only use OEM or Zerex G-05 coolant ONLY...do not use the green stuff.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 02:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Irv, of all the design flaws you can imagine, the PT's radiator drain cock is high up there on the list. You're supposed to be able to twist it (only) one-quarter turn (counterclockwise, of course)--THEN turn it back one-eighth turn and pull it out. Right!!!!

The problem is this: It's not like a Honda draincock that just unscrews. And this game of quarter turn this way and back an eighth turn is not only awkward as hell--but your chances of getting it out--much less getting it back in--are, I'd say, 50/50.

So do like Crewzin suggested to me: undo the lower radiator hose (it's just a pinch clamp) and pull off the hose to drain the radiator. If you want to drain just a little, don't worry about taking too much out (it goes back in).

Just work (walk) the hose clamp backward a good three inches; leave the clamp on; and pull and twist on the hose. Drain your coolant; then inspect the hose for wear and cracking and hardening, then push the hose back on all the way, then work (walk) the pinch clamp back where it was.

Be sure to bleed the system at the bleed bold (it's about 5 inches below the radiator cap--which is on the thermostat housing cover.

I fill the radiator as much as I can, then open the bleed bolt till it's just loose, then attach a clear 3 ft. hose to the bleed bolt nipple. I loosen the bleed bolt a little more till I see bubbles and coolant. Then I fill the radiator some more (via the theromstat housing) till it's full and no more bubbles are visable through the clear hose. Remove the clear hose; tighten the bleed bolt. Drive the engine a little; then check to see if you need more coolant in your overflow bottle. Don't overfill it. Now check for leaks. Done.

Tim
Shieldwolf likes this.
Old 18 Jun 2011, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone. I ended up just removing the lower hose. The fan replacement wasn't too bad except for 1 bolt that refused to catch the clip on one side. Of course it had to be the most difficult bolt to access, but that is normal. Anyway, the fan is done, two speeds now, and I am back in business. Thanks for all the info on this and my other posts. RJ