Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2011, 11:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C problem

I have an 03 PT 2.4, 75K. A/c is putting out 48 degree air, but the high pressure safety switch is blowing off. What would make such high pressure in the system? sounds like the switch is doing its job.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 11:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C problem

The main cause is because the A/C system is getting hot. Could be because the radiator fan is not working properly to cool off the condenser and the compressor itself. Eventually you blow off enough pressure that you'll need to fill up the system but it will start to blow warm air first and the pressure sensor will recognize your low in R134a and stop the compressor from coming on.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Jun 2011 at 11:56 am.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Engine fan should come on when A/C is on - on highway, does it still cut out?
Also possiboe thw high pressure switch is defective and you don't have high pressure.
If engine fan comes on, take it to an A/C place.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 22 Jun 2011, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

I turned on the A/C while car was running and the fan did not come on. The temp gauge does not show overheating, but we only drive car a few miles at a time, maybe 5 at the most. It is my wife's and she not not go anywhere.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 01:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am new to this and think I may have done something wrong on replying to Quicksilverdon.

the cooling fan did not come on when I turn on the A/C. We do very little highway driving and haven't notices a temp increase.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 07:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

mkinsey, when my fan went out, the temperature gauge never went above the "almost-halfway-mark". Go figure! However, the A/C blew warm at idle and the engine stuttered. Does yours?

Even if it doesn't, drive the car till the engine gets good and hot, then--at idle--check to see if your fan is coming on at high speed (it'll make a somewhat loud whirring sound at high speed). If not, it's probably the fan.

There is also a "sticky" on how to check the fan on this forum, I believe.

Tim
Old 22 Jun 2011, 08:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to digitalpinscruiser Send a message via Yahoo to digitalpinscruiser

Hey mkinsey7 I just had this problem but I was getting cold air...my fan would not come on at all. Cruiser never over heated but started running just a bit over the half way mark and also started stuttering or surging when idle or at a light. So I recently changed the fan this past weekend and all those bad symptoms went away.

New fan is working now, no more surging or stuttering when idle and also engine temp either stays just under or at half way mark.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: A/C problem

"go Figure" I went out this morning, drove PT till hot, pulled into garage, fan is running, turned on AC first notch and air was 50 degrees in just minutes, turned ac off, watched the fan and it finally quit spinning, tuned ac back on and the fan started right up. I let sit running for 10 minutes with ac on and no blow off and engine is running smooth and all seems well. I know computers get viruses, but my car? Thx to all for help, will just have to keep an eye on it for now.
Old 25 Jun 2011, 02:34 am
Senior Cruiser

Mkinsey, my fan would work sometimes and not work at other times, too. Sometimes it just ran too slowly. At any rate, the fan needed replacement. Remember the movie "The Money Pit"? In one scene, Tom Hanks asks one of the Shirk brothers how he could give an estimate on his house's plumbing when he hadn't even looked at it, yet. The brother replied, "I looked at it three years ago ... and it probably hasn't gotten any better."

Our fans are kind of like that. They just don't seem to improve with age.

Tim