Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating issue. Please assist!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jun 2011, 07:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating issue. Please assist!

I have a 2003 pt with 75k miles. Lately it has been running really hot up to the red mark but I always blast the heat to keep it from actually over heating. The ac only works intermittently as well. Another symptom was the ac was evacuating Freon from underneath the car. I took it to a shop and they said it was the cooling fan. I then replaced the cooling fan motor myself and used the guide i found on her(very helpful). This did not fix the problem. I replace the high and low relay next but still had the same issues.
I then took it to a dealer who said it was the fan also(which i had replaced 2 weeks prior). I took it home and replaced the entire fan and motor myself thinking it may have been the connections with my motor. I then recharged the ac and drove it to work this morning. It was running fine for the first 15 minutes with the ac blasting. Then it started heating up again and the ac started evacuating the Freon again.
So 2 fan motors, changed both relays, I tested the coolant and its ok, i bled the system for air. I dont know what else to do. Two shops said its the fan. I replaced it both times and it works but it still only works intermittently. It still has all the same original symptoms from the beginning. It gets to the red zone on the temp guage, and the ac stops blowing cold. So it seems it cant be a rad/coolant issue because the ac is effected also. Is there something else it could be?

PLEASE HELP!!
Old 21 Jun 2011, 07:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating issue. Please assist!

OK, so you replaced the fan twice, are you checking to see if it's working? Get the car cold, start the engine and throw on the A/C. Does the fan come on? If so, the low speed is working. Now let it sit at idle with the A/C on and watch the temperature guage and when it hits about mid way or a little higher, you should here the high speed part of the fan come on. it's very loud and you can't miss it. It's louder than the engine so you can't miss it. If both speeds are working, you have to start eliminating other things. The thermostat, clogged or partially clogged radiator, coolant temperature sensor and finally the computer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jun 2011, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Last night when I replaced the fan I checked and the fan was kicking on when cold at idle. I did not yet check to see if it kicks on when hot. I will check that in the morning.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Alright I checked it and the fan does not kick on when the engine is hot. So the high speed is not working at all. I already changed the relay for this. What else could it be?
Old 22 Jun 2011, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjzdx View Post
Alright I checked it and the fan does not kick on when the engine is hot. So the high speed is not working at all. I already changed the relay for this. What else could it be?
It could be that the brushes inside the fan motor are burned out. Quite common with the fan motor, happens a lot. Is there a way to tell, you might ask? Not by just looking at it. If you had a scanner, it can be programmed to turn the fan on high or low at will but whoever has the scanner, charges to hook it up.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for all your help so far. The thing is I replaced the fan 2 times in the last 3 weeks. I put the newest one in this monday night. Could it be anything else besides the fan? Does the high speed part of the fan have a sensor that tells it to turn on? I already replaced the high and low relay. Thanks for your response!
Old 22 Jun 2011, 06:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The computer turns the fan on by sensors and relays. Having the A/C on automatically turns the fan on, then I believe the ECT (directly below the thermostat) monitors the coolant and at a particular temperature the high speed takes over.

Old 22 Jun 2011, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So if this sensor is bad then a possible symptom would be the fan would not kick on at higher temperatures, correct? I will try to replace it this evening if time alllows. I will let you know what happens.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 06:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey, just a theory or guess on my part but that's the way I understand how it works. The high speed just doesn't come on by itself, the computer turns it on (ups the speed) when the coolant get HOT. How does it know how hot it is? The ECT tells it.

But don't forget, the computer (ECM) has a lot to do with everything.

Old 22 Jun 2011, 09:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjzdx View Post
I have a 2003 pt with 75k miles. Lately it has been running really hot up to the red mark but I always blast the heat to keep it from actually over heating. The ac only works intermittently as well. Another symptom was the ac was evacuating Freon from underneath the car. I took it to a shop and they said it was the cooling fan. I then replaced the cooling fan motor myself and used the guide i found on her(very helpful). This did not fix the problem. I replace the high and low relay next but still had the same issues.
I then took it to a dealer who said it was the fan also(which i had replaced 2 weeks prior). I took it home and replaced the entire fan and motor myself thinking it may have been the connections with my motor. I then recharged the ac and drove it to work this morning. It was running fine for the first 15 minutes with the ac blasting. Then it started heating up again and the ac started evacuating the Freon again.
So 2 fan motors, changed both relays, I tested the coolant and its ok, i bled the system for air. I dont know what else to do. Two shops said its the fan. I replaced it both times and it works but it still only works intermittently. It still has all the same original symptoms from the beginning. It gets to the red zone on the temp guage, and the ac stops blowing cold. So it seems it cant be a rad/coolant issue because the ac is effected also. Is there something else it could be?

PLEASE HELP!!
theres also been reports of the connectors on the fan harness shorting out you check all of those to. the green and black wire in the fuse box under the hood for the high speed fan relay shorted out on mine... may not help you any but its something to pay closer attention to well your doin all this work... good luck!!!