PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

PT Cruiser will not start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2011, 09:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default PT Cruiser will not start

Ok, I have seen several posts about this, but I have not found a fix yet. So lets start with what I have:

2003 PT Cruiser 2.4L, non-turbo, Automatic,a full tank of fuel and has about 107,000 miles on it.

Problem:
I drove the car about 50 freeway miles and when I got off the freeway and got to the stop light, the car shut off. There has been no signs of life since. The engine spins, but no fire.

What I have done:
Once I got into the garage, I heard the fuel pump working. I found that I have no spark. So I have replaced the coil, and the camshaft sensor. Nothing. So I pulled the connector back off the coil, and tested the connections. The center pin has a working ground (Clipped tester to + on the battery and probe into center pin, I got light) On the outside two I get nothing. (I connected the tester to the - on the battery, put the probe into one side then the other, while I was cranking the car over) So it seems as if I have lost something prior to that spot on the car. I looked over all the wires that run around the engine and they all look good.

Not knowing PT Cruisers very well, I am lost. Any ideas
Old 22 Jun 2011, 09:51 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: PT Cruiser will not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
Ok, I have seen several posts about this, but I have not found a fix yet. So lets start with what I have:

2003 PT Cruiser 2.4L, non-turbo, Automatic,a full tank of fuel and has about 107,000 miles on it.

Problem:
I drove the car about 50 freeway miles and when I got off the freeway and got to the stop light, the car shut off. There has been no signs of life since. The engine spins, but no fire.

What I have done:
Once I got into the garage, I heard the fuel pump working. I found that I have no spark. So I have replaced the coil, and the camshaft sensor. Nothing. So I pulled the connector back off the coil, and tested the connections. The center pin has a working ground (Clipped tester to + on the battery and probe into center pin, I got light) On the outside two I get nothing. (I connected the tester to the - on the battery, put the probe into one side then the other, while I was cranking the car over) So it seems as if I have lost something prior to that spot on the car. I looked over all the wires that run around the engine and they all look good.

Timing belt most likely broke, you were due. Expensive time consuming job as you will see by doing a search on the forum for timing belt. Good luck

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 22 Jun 2011, 03:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with Dino. Take off the cap for the Camshaft sensor and have someone look at the inside (the end of the cam) while your trying to start the car. If it doesn't spin, the belt is broke.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 22 Jun 2011, 06:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will check and get back to you guys. Thanks
Old 22 Jun 2011, 06:26 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post

Problem:

What I have done:

Did you do the key dance and see if any codes pop up? TPS? I agree that the belt may be broke, but if it isn't check the codes!

SOLD-----K&N FIPK CAI, MSD wires, NGK plugs
03 Dream Cruiser series 2 #1489,5sp
k&N FIPK CAI, MSD 8MM wires, NGK iridium plugs, oil catch can, AGP wastegate, Mopar BOV,Mopar Boost Gauge,Stage 1 injectors,DSP Sport tuner,VSR Anima 18" wheels, Kelly 225-40-18 tires, 3" cat delete downpipe, APS SS dual exhaust.

Now owner of a black CSRT stage 1.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 09:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

you guys nailed it on the head. I lost the timing belt. I was hoping for an easier fix, but I guess this is what I get for not keeping up on the maintenance on my car.

Do these 2.4L fair out well through a timing belt break? That is my next concern.

I did not do the key swap as I only have one key for the car. Knowing what is said on the forums I am going to guy another one, and program it for the car.

Thank you to all who provided me with information.
Old 22 Jun 2011, 10:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

There is always a chance you couldve bent a valve or whatever, but typically no damage happens when the belt breaks besides you ending up stoping wherever you are.

You risk the most damage if your timing belt breaks while youre driving at highway speeds.

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 04 Jul 2011, 12:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok,

We have the timing belt back in and the car still will not start. We pulled everything back apart and we are still lined up in all spots. Is there a way we could be 180 degrees off? If so how do you determine TDC? We lined up the Lower sprocket to the mark on the oil pump housing (i think that is what it is called), and we lined up the OHC sprockets, but no go. I really would like this to be the last time that I pull it apart, because it is a pain in the rear.

Any Ideas??

Thanks
Aaron
Old 04 Jul 2011, 12:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Are you getting spark now? Have u bled the fuel system of any air?

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 10 Jul 2011, 12:39 am
Fresh Cruiser

current status:

First I would like to say I am not an idiot, but I kinda feel like one after doing this job. The Chrysler factory repair manual SUCKS!!!!!!

The information that no one can answer:

Can the timing be 180 degrees off? (Yes and No) In the tradition sense no. When you look at the timing marks on the Cam sprockets there is 2 marks on each sprocket. Step one is to align them(1/2 tooth off) so that you can read the writing on them. They should all read 2.4L FRONT (up arrow)UP(up arrow). The repair manual says nothing about this. so we aligned to the marks that were easy to see.

The timing belt tensioner is a little strange, and kind of a funky design. If you remove the tensioner from the housing, go in the following order. 1. align the bolt, get some threads started 2. set the spring 3. tighten down bolt enough where it only needs a couple threads to tighten down 4. tension belt, look the marker so that it aligns with the spring, and tighten down bolt. It sounds odd, but it works.

The A/C does not need to pulled off, but it is a pain in the rear end to leave it in.

Pulling the engine is a great idea. If I did this again I would probably pull it.

It is really hard to find the information on aligning everything, once a belt has broken and the timing is off. I hope this helps others that were or are in the same boat that I am in.

Thanks to all that helped. I hope to have my car on the road Sunday. If not, who knows.

Aaron

Tags
2.4l, 2003 cruiser, automatic, not working