Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
01' PT stumbles, barely runs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jun 2011, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 01' PT stumbles, barely runs

I got in my car today and it won't stay running not enough it seems to throw a code. I have to hold the throttle wide open just to keep it stumbling along, like its down a cylinder or 3. It has shown me signs of major malfunction before this.
I got p0601 and p1684 off of the key dance. Is it really a pcm or something else? I was thinking an o2 sensor, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 23 Jun 2011, 03:12 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 01' PT stumbles, barely runs

P0601-INTERNAL MEMORY CHECKSUM INVALID
You need a new pcm. If you buy a used one, you need to get it re programed. Some venders will program it for you if you give them your vin and mileage.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 23 Jun 2011, 06:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 01' PT stumbles, barely runs

02 sensors really don't start working until the car is warmed up and it doesn't sound like you can even get to that point. Take the negative battery cable off for about 5 minutes. That resets the computer and clears the code. Replace the cable, drive it and see how it runs. If it goes back to the old way and the fault light comes on, check to see if the bad check sum comes up again, follow chigger_ns's advice.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.