Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The radiator fan [again]

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jun 2011, 11:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs down The radiator fan [again]

If one speed on the fan works and the other doesn't,will that stop the fan altogether? It's a 2003 non-turbo.Also,has anyone ever put a switch in line with the fan to turn it on manually?
Old 24 Jun 2011, 01:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: The radiator fan [again]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogaz View Post
If one speed on the fan works and the other doesn't,will that stop the fan altogether? It's a 2003 non-turbo.Also,has anyone ever put a switch in line with the fan to turn it on manually?
Welcome to the Forum!!

The fan will continue running on the one speed, either high or low. Some member have talked about manually using, but I don't remember if anyone did. You would have to monitor temp and speed and remember to turn it on or off. A mature person MAY have a problem remembering!!! BTW, I am a mature person!! :-)

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Jun 2011, 03:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When I checked the fan motor,1 speed is working,but the other isn't.I think only the high speed is working,but the fan does not turn on at all when car is running.I've checked the fuse and the relays,all ok.I just thought that if the slow speed is not working,it would prevent the fan from working.

Last edited by bogaz; 24 Jun 2011 at 03:16 pm.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 03:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You say radiator fan (again). Did you have a problem before or are you referring to ANOTHER thread about the fan since we get about 1 a day 365 days a year.

It will run with just one speed and usually either the A/C will start to go out (blow warm air) or the car will overheat when one speed is not working. ( out of 10 times it's the brushes inside the fan motor that need replacing or a new fan and housing from eBay is needed.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 05:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Newbie to the site here, I have a related problem & I need advice please.
Put a new fan & both High & low relays in yesterday, fan worked in high speed as soon as turned on, took for a test run & worked, took out later & worked for about 20 minutes, as soon as the fan died the engine ran as if cycling normal 10-15 seconds then rough for 3 seconds. any thoughts?
Old 24 Jun 2011, 05:58 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

mperkins,

What do you mean "the fan died". It stopped working at all, after you just replaced it? Then you say "engine ran as if cycling normal 10-15 seconds then rough for 3 seconds". That's not normal at all. Sorry, doesn't make sense the way your explaining it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jun 2011, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Car was overheating & running a little rough every 10 - 15 seconds it would shudder, like bogging down,

I put the new fan in yesterday along with new Low & High speed relays, put it back together & as soon as I started it up it ran High speed (the fan) even while cold. Thought it was odd. Drove it & it was cool & at half way on gauge.
No shudder, & the check engine light that had been on before went away,
Glorious day!
Took to band practice & was fine for about 20 minutes & while at a light it started climbing in temp & running rough every 10 seconds again, when I got it to the pad I looked & the fan was not running at all.

Tested the High relay with a known good one, (Horn relay) & it was OK.
What could draw enough power to kill a fan in 20 minutes?
Old 24 Jun 2011, 08:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Good question and one I don't know the answer to but first, you need to find out if the fan is really bad (again) or something else is stopping it from running.

You can find someone with a DRB scan tool and it can go through the computer to start the fan on both speeds to see if it's working or you can run a hot and ground wire directly to the fan wires to do it yourself.

Old 24 Jun 2011, 09:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Pulled the fan & tested, it is working , bad relays?
Old 25 Jun 2011, 01:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mperkins37 View Post
Pulled the fan & tested, it is working , bad relays?
What year is your PT? If it's 00-05 the relays are in the engine bay and the high speed relay and the horn relay can be swapped around to check them out. If the horn is working, that relay is good so just swap the high speed fan relay with that one.