PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Headlights diming & other problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2011, 01:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Headlights diming & other problem

02 pt cruiser, my headlights keep dimming when I am driving constanyly
I believe this is happening when my ac kicks on, battery is less than a yr old, timing belt and heads relaced about 1 yr ago. Live in Fla car is garage kept

codes pulled today were 0134. 0551. 0168

engine light has been on since forever
runs ok but today felt like I hit something more like a slam ( hard to explain) and bells started dinging, shut off ac didnt happen again till I put ac on again then felt slam again.
To scared to put ac back on as dont want to break down
any help is appriciated

Thank you
Old 26 Jun 2011, 02:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Headlights diming & other problem

A P0134 MIL code indicates: Neither rich nor lean mixture is detected from the oxygen sensor input.

The upstream oxygen sensor threads into the outlet flange of the exhaust manifold. The downstream heated oxygen sensor threads into the system depending on emission package. Federal package the O2s is mounted after the catalytic converter.
==============================

P0551 (M) - Power Steering Switch Failure: Incorrect input state detected for the power steering switch circuit. PL: High pressure seen at high speed.

Power steering pressure switch - A power steering pressure switch is used to improve the vehicle's idle quality. The pressure switch improves vehicle idle quality by causing a readjustment of the engine idle speed as necessary when increased fluid pressure is sensed in the power steering system.

The pressure switch functions by signaling the powertrain control module that an increase in pressure of the power steering system is putting additional load on the engine. This type of condition exists when the front tires of the vehicle are turned while the vehicle is stationary and the engine is at idle speed. When the powertrain control module receives the signal from the power steering pressure switch, it directs the engine to increase its idle speed.

This increase in engine idle speed compensates for the additional load, thus maintaining the required engine idle speed and idle quality. The power steering pressure switch is mounted directly on the backside of the power steering gear. The replacement procedure is available through the Pit area on the site.

==========================

Your last code is a stickler. I found it on a Hungarian PT Cruiser site with no explanation of a fix.

P0168 Eng Fuel Temp Hi

======================

Personally, I've have the battery and charging system checked out and also check all the battery connections for corrosion and tightness. I know you said the battery is only one year onld but I've seen them go bad even before a year is up. Besides, do you know how long the battery sat on the shelf before you bought it? 1, 2 3 years?

Also, I've deleted your other post. No need to post the same question twice.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Jun 2011 at 03:08 pm.
Old 26 Jun 2011, 05:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Headlights diming & other problem

Thank you for the code explanation, the last one shouls have been P1684 which I found out is just that the battery was disconnected recently (correct ??)

I will try cleaning and having battery checked
Thanks for your answers