Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Yet... Another Overheating Cruiser...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Jun 2011, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Yet... Another Overheating Cruiser...

I have a 01 Non Turbo. Started overheating last week. Tested Fan.. Was bad. Replaced it. I was hoping on problem solved. NOT.. So I have now replaced the relays, thermostat, coolant. Fan appears to be working properly. Driving slowly around town, seems to run close to normal operating temp. Freeway driving causes it to overheat. Of course I blast the heat on to keep it from reaching the red zone. So the big question is... Water pump bad? I open bleeder valve and coolant pumps out... 97K miles.
Thanks for any help!!
Old 27 Jun 2011, 12:50 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Yet... Another Overheating Cruiser...

I read somewhere about a way to test the water pump's ability to circulate water. It says that if you turn on your heater and get good heat, then your water pump is pumping water.

Sounds like you get heat into your heater core, from what you've said. So, so much for that advice.

I'd check the bleed bolt one more time--and attach a clear three-foot hose to it to drain the coolant away from your belts, alternator, etc., and into a clean pan under the engine. Keep the bleed bolt open for a full two minutes and watch the clear hose till no bubbles appear.

If that's not it and your fan appears to be working (you wouldn't need the fan at high speed, freeway driving, anyway), then I'd check to see that you installed the thermostat properly--with the spring pointing in the right direction, and the "nub" in the thermostat gasket aligned properly into the recess of the thermostat housing cover.

If that's not it, then I'd imagine your radiator is not up to snuff. Maybe plugged. Have you been using Mopar HOAT? If not, you might have plugged a few channels--maybe more.

Good luck,

Tim
Old 06 Jul 2011, 01:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well.. Tried bleeding, double checked thermostat.. it seems so random with the temp rising on this car.. I am going to do the timing belt/water pump today to see... There are no signs of head gasket issue. Maybe clogged radiator if this doesn't work???. I ll update later on progress hopefully with a resolution!
Old 06 Jul 2011, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It's been my experience that when your car overheats mostly at freeway speeds, it's usually a clogged radiator.
Old 07 Jul 2011, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the exact same symptoms and it ended up being a bad radiator. Good luck, I know how bad this sucks when it happens.
Old 08 Jul 2011, 11:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Re: Yet... Another Overheating Cruiser...

Well.... $Hiiii???!?SDWD!!
Water pump/timing belt replaced and still...
Radiator tomorrow!!
I am praying its it.
I will be posting a resolution when this finally comes to close just to try to help others.
On one note.. I did find that the exhaust cam was off by 4 teeth! Was idling a little rough. Now smooth as butter! I have a feeling that the previous owner had it replaced and was not installed correctly. Also, when I pulled the old water pump out there was like rust debris and the gasket was definitely on its last leg. probably from the radiator that is causing my overheating.
Old 09 Jul 2011, 01:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

did u use HOAT if not you will need to
Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Resolved: Yet... Another Overheating Cruiser...

The radiator fixed my issue. To everyone that is having similar issues... try the radiator early on unless your due anyways for timing belt.
Thanks to this forum for step by step for timing belt:
ever replace timing belt in a pt cruiser

You don't have to disconnect A/C or the exhaust.

The quickest way to replace a fan or radiator is to pull the front bumper/bumper reinforcement/radiator support. This allows easy access to everything. I discovered this when I did the timing belt/water pump. It literally took me 45 minutes to replace the radiator from start to finish by doing this.