Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Oil Light and "Ding!"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2011, 08:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Oil Light and "Ding!"

Hello, Cruisers!

I tried to do a "Search" on this subject, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. I type "Oil Light" into the forum's Search--and I get today's stuff. Not posts relating to the oil light, or oil light problems ....

Still, I have a question: My wife told me today (belatedly) that when she started the PT last week--after it had sat all night--that the oil light came on and she heard a single "ding!". She immediately turned off the engine and turned it back on. The oil light didn't come on--and no ding sound, either. She drove it for a week with no problems.

So for a week, no more oil lights and no more dings. But this morning she started the car after it was sitting all night, and the oil light came on again--and she heard a single "ding" again. She turned off the motor and started it again and there was no oil light and no ding.

I checked the oil, first thing--and it was at the full mark. No oil leaking, of course, either. The oil was not hot (the engine had been sitting an hour before she told me of these symptoms, however). I asked her if the car ran hot or she smelled anything funny. She said the temp gauge remained at normal, halfway--and no smells.

Do I have a sending-unit problem? Has anyone encountered this issue?

Let me know what you know.

Thanks,

Tim
Old 28 Jun 2011, 08:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Oil Light and "Ding!"

Sounds like the sending unit, get a new one and replace it. It is a PITA to get to.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
Old 28 Jun 2011, 10:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Okay, I did the key dance and got two codes. One was P0522 (Oil Pressure Sending Unit input below acceptable voltage). So it looks like the oil pressure sending unit. I looked for it but it's obviously in a well-hidden place--even though I have a pic of it. I looked from above the engine, however.

I also got this little kick in the butt: P0325 (Knock Sensor signal above or below minuimum acceptable threshold voltage). What the hell is a Knock Sensor? Where is it? What does it do? Is it more accessible than the Oil Pressure sending unit? I hope so.

Tim
Old 29 Jun 2011, 10:42 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Okay, I did the key dance and got two codes. One was P0522 (Oil Pressure Sending Unit input below acceptable voltage). So it looks like the oil pressure sending unit. I looked for it but it's obviously in a well-hidden place--even though I have a pic of it.

Tim
It's not easily seen from above. From below the car, it's a little to the driver's side. There is a wire coming off the alternator that hides it. You will most likely see the neon green connector that plugs into the sensor. Don't fret, it took me awhile to find it too. They sure don't make it easy to get to, that's for sure. Hope this helps.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 09:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, I actually got the Search engine on this forum to work for me. I just switch from Threads to Posts--and sometimes visa versa. Sometimes it works, sometimes I still get the day's posts--instead of the item I was searching for. Go figure.

The Knock Sensor code, I'm going to attribute to some lousy gas I bought a few weeks ago. If, after I erase the code, it shows up again, then I may be running lean, and will regap my plugs to .38. Although, I gapped them at .45 when I put them in and there were no Knock Sensor problems in several thousand miles.

I finally found the Oil Pressure sending unit. It may as well be on someone else's car--it's so inaccessible. I'll try checking it out from under the car this weekend when I have time to put it up on jackstands and all that. If I can reach it from below, I'll do the job myself. I'd try from above, but I don't fancy moving the PCM box, like one old poter said to do.

Later, guys.

Thanks.