PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Computer/Sensor Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2011, 09:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Computer/Sensor Problems

Hey guys and gals- I'm new to this site and looking for some advice. Have a 2005 Cruiser with 88K miles that's been misbehaving. Several weeks ago, the Check Engine light came on and I identified an error code of P0339 with the key trick. The timing belt had not yet been replaced, and I was planning on having it done anyway. That was completed and I got the car back running fine with no error codes.

While accelerating a bit hard (it's not a Turbo) to get on the highway last week, the engine misfired badly and the Check Engine light came on and was flashing. The engine ran fine below about 2200 rpm so I was able to "baby" it back to work. Had it towed to my local shop. They told me that everything "mechanical" is OK. They sent it to Chrysler to "reflash" the computer. Got it back yesterday and it ran fine until tonight when I accelerated a bit aggressively. This time the engine actually quit. I pulled over, shut down for a moment and then checked for error codes with the key trick. It's now showing the same P0339 code with the Check Engine light remaining on. The engine runs fine as long as I don't "get on it".

I don't want to pay another $90 to have the dealer reflash the computer. That error code is for the camshaft position sensor. Looked online and it's a pretty inexpensive part. Am considering trying that first. Need some advice on how to do that (where it's located). Have seen different threads- some indicating that it's a major pain to do. If that doesn't work, I'm considering a refurbished computer with a lifetime warranty that is flashed to my VIN. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 02:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Computer/Sensor Problems

the cam position sensor is very easy to replace, when looking at the engine, it's located on the right side of the head/valve cover. It's held in with a couple bolts and the wiring harness. Get a new one from the dealer, I hear lots of bad things about the aftermarket ones...
1990 Chevy 454SS
1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 29 Jun 2011, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It was the Crankshaft Position sensor that was throwing the error code. Couldn't really find good advice on here about location. Apparently it's "moved" over the years. I had my local shop put in a Mopar part today. Total cost $82, which included clearing the error code in the computer. Will drive it and see what happens. Hopefully, this will fix it and I won't have to replace the computer itself.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: Computer/Sensor Problems

Hi there! This sounds exactly like what is going on with my 2001 PT. The first time it happened, it scared me to death. I was on the freeway going over 65mph and all the sudden, a hard kick-back and the engine seemed to stutter and slow down (as if it was running out of gas/wanting to stall). I got onto the shoulder quick and called for help...

After getting a tune up done and servicing all the engine fluids, it happened about a week later. Same thing - was going over 65, but this time, I didn't pull onto the shoulder. I kept it going but it was not happy and didn't want to go over 45mph. I'd been noticing that the pressure of the gas pedal seemed strange since this had been happening too. Sometimes I didn't have to push the pedal much at all, other times more than normal.

We had a diagnostic test done and it determined that it was definitely a computer problem... so here I am, trying to pinpoint exactly how many pretty pennies this will cost. I'm wondering if mine is the Crankshaft Position too?? I'd love the know how your PT is doing now. Looks like you posted this a few weeks ago. Any help/tips would be awesome!

Thanks so much.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 05:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Cruiser Girl,

If it turns out to be the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP), it's pretty easy to replace on your 2001. Its right above the oil filter. In 2004 Chrysler changed it to a place right next to the starter and it's not easy to replace.

MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 16 Jul 2011, 06:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Since replacing the Crankshaft Position Sensor over 2 weeks ago, the car has driven fine- NO more problems or error codes!
Old 17 Jul 2011, 04:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oh wow, this sounds awesome! Thanks so much for the quick responses and the picture... this helps me out a ton. Hopefully I can get the ball rolling on this Monday morning and may even pull a Rosie the Riveter move and try it myself... Haha! I'll keep you posted incase anyone else out there is having this type of problem too.

So glad I found this forum
Old 17 Jul 2011, 06:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hey Rosie. When you buy the part, make sure it's from the dealer, not an after marker auto store. Costs a bit more but you know your getting a good part.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/au...30vintage.html
Old 02 Aug 2011, 11:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cool Re: Computer/Sensor Problems

Update! We got the Crankshaft part in, installed it (had to have a little help ) and the engine light went off. I've been driving it for the past two days and it SEEMS to be okay. It has driven fine even over 60mph.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but it still feels like the "get up and go" is still sluggish. I'm not getting much of that little kick-back when I speed up/slow down. Does that sound like the timing, as someone has mentioned to me before?

I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet, since she's up and running! I guess all I can do is drive her and see what happens. Whattaya think?
Old 05 Aug 2011, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So, I grabbed a bottle of gum-out, which I've never used before and I've had the PT for a few years now. Waiting until I'm low on fuel to use it. Hoping this will help the slugging! Cross your fingers