Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Alarm, Keyless Entry, or... ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Jun 2011, 06:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Alarm, Keyless Entry, or... ?

I haven't actually driven this car yet (see my other post... ) but I was told by the previous owner that sometimes when she starts the car an alarm goes off - or something like that. She wasn't sure of the exact conditions it happened, or exactly what she did to stop it. Awesome.

I have one plain ol' key for the car, there is no remote. I've found under the dash clear signs of an aftermarket alarm - lots of inline taps and some unused, non-OEM connectors. Looks like the brain itself is gone, and maybe some sensors or something else. I have not yet found a horn or siren anywhere but I haven't looked that extensively, either.

Was keyless entry standard or optional on an '01? Where would the control unit for a factory system be? Assuming there are no remotes anyone care to guess on a series of actions that would cause a factory system to set and then go off?

Keyless entry is definitely part of the go-forward plan. I'd much rather use a factory system if that's an option, in which case I will fully remove this excess wiring. If it's not, I need to figure out what this stuff is tapped into, and then integrate it into a good aftermarket system.

Thanks for any tips!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 08:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Alarm, Keyless Entry, or... ?

Is your car a base, touring or limited model?

The keyless entry/alarm was standard on touring and limited and an option on the base model.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 30 Jun 2011, 01:35 am
Regular Cruiser

Limited, or so says the badge on the back. It's power everything, sunroof, leather, chrome 16" alloys, etc. I'm assuming it really is a Limited...
Old 30 Jun 2011, 09:11 am
Senior Cruiser

that sounds like a Limited model... that means that you should have the factory keyless entry/alarm. But you don't have the remotes to operate the system. This also means that the car uses special keys that have a chip in them coded to the car, without the correct key the car won't start.

I think the brain to the factory alarm is just under the dash cover in the center of the car. There is also a module around the steering column that senses/reads the chip in the key when it's in the ignition.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 30 Jun 2011, 12:04 pm
Regular Cruiser

Well, the dash top is all sorts of Not Right, so I'm betting someone has been in there. Might explain the weird behavior the PO was talking about. I'd like to replace the top anyway, so I'll pull it off and see what's going on under there. Hopefully it's not a bunch of massacred wiring.