PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 PT Cruiser fine till getting timing done

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jun 2011, 03:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 PT Cruiser fine till getting timing done

Hello,
My car was approaching 95k and I ordered the parts kit from rock, and got recomended to a shop, spoke with the owner, said he just rebuilt an engine on 1 ansaid np he can do it. I had zero problems with the car just doin preventative maint. I go to pick it up today there askin me if I've ever over heated...never went above the halfway mark, antifreeze was fine, started on the first try, never stalled out on me. Well they said I was low on gas and the car kept stalling on me....runnin real rough, and sounded loud...brought it back he looked at a couple things said he would call me. 5 hours pass he said everything shows as normal and I might need to take it to a chrysler dealer to have the computer checked? Somethin doesn't sound right...and again right before another holiday weekend I'm gonna be stuck home, memorial day weekend my shifter cable went and I got stuck at home while car was in the shop.

Deryk
Old 30 Jun 2011, 04:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 PT Cruiser fine till getting timing done

I have owend my 2002 since it came off the truck. I did the usual maintence stuff and never had a issue with the timing. It could be spark plug or spark plug wire issue. I know a friend of mines pt was rough idling once and it ended up bieng his spark plug wire it was kida freyed/melted. He got the wires changed and the car ran fine after that with no problems with the idle or anything else for that matter. I am not a mechanic though! This is just a opinion from what the problem was with my friends pt.
Was there a reason why you got your timing done? Or are you talking about the belt? If it was the belt mabey they didn't mark it where it was when they rplaced it and it may be out a hair?

Last edited by muzicmax; 30 Jun 2011 at 04:25 pm.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 04:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah I had the timing belt replaced cause it was do for it...the mechanic said he checked the plugs and heads and fuel injectors already and everything seems normal...I've spent almost $1200 on the car this month I still owe a little on it but gettin to the point might be gettin rid of it....can't afford to keep tossin money into it.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 04:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

sounds to me like they didn't get the cams lined up correctly when they installed the new belt. If the cams and crank position are off by even one tooth the engine will not run properly.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 30 Jun 2011, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
sounds to me like they didn't get the cams lined up correctly when they installed the new belt. If the cams and crank position are off by even one tooth the engine will not run properly.

I agree 100%. Biggest problem with that job is getting it back together with the timing perfect.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 05:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ughhh so that would be almost the same amount of hours as the install? I don't know if I can afford that... any way to tell other then opening it all back up? I'm questioning his shop just by when I said it wasn't runnin like this when I brought it in he said it wasn't runnin smooth...I said it never stalled on me and he said I've seen ppl change a battery and it start stalling.... so much for bein recomended to go there.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yea it sucks. Sounds like he won't take responsibility or even work with you even if something he did wasn't right.

Anybody else reading this; the timing belt is probably the biggest job there is to do on the PT. If your not sure of the mechanic, maybe even if you are sure, seems like a good thing to do is go over the car before the work is done with whoever is going to work on it and show them that the car idles and runs good and the job is just for preventative maintenance, not because there's something wrong.

Of course that doesn't work if you go in with the belt already broken.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicmax View Post
I have owend my 2002 since it came off the truck. I did the usual maintence stuff and never had a issue with the timing. It could be spark plug or spark plug wire issue. I know a friend of mines pt was rough idling once and it ended up bieng his spark plug wire it was kida freyed/melted. He got the wires changed and the car ran fine after that with no problems with the idle or anything else for that matter. I am not a mechanic though! This is just a opinion from what the problem was with my friends pt.
Was there a reason why you got your timing done? Or are you talking about the belt? If it was the belt mabey they didn't mark it where it was when they rplaced it and it may be out a hair?
I've had the exact same problem before. It was running really rough, even stalled out a couple times on me at stoplights, and it turned out to be the plug wires and the plugs.

In fact I just installed new plugs the other day with a different gap (.4 instead of the old .5) and it doesn't drive right. It acts like the throttle is stuck at times, but I'm about 90% sure its the plugs since that's all I did. Drives better under heavy acceleration though. Fixing that is on my "to do" list since the other day I had to fight with my car at a stop sign.

Doesn't even throw a code when it does it either.
Old 30 Jun 2011, 06:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So please forgive my ignorance but to make an adjustment to the timeing belt involves it being all apart?
Old 30 Jun 2011, 06:36 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's a hughe job usually cost anywhere from $1100 - $1300 plus depending if they do the water pump at the same time (hope ya did that while the belt was done). Mine cost $1300 and some change for the timing belt and water pump
So to answer your question "yes" they have to take it apart again.

Last edited by muzicmax; 30 Jun 2011 at 06:39 pm.