Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Dash Gauges/Needles Stop Working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Jul 2011, 06:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Dash Gauges/Needles Stop Working

I have a 2002 Touring Edition. Is there any reason why the gauges in my dash would quit working but only when the car heats up from the outside temperature not the motor (above approximitely 80 degrees). When the outside temp cools down the gauges will work again but only once I pull the fuse and basically jolt or spark it where it plugs in (kinda like jump starting it). Not sure it might mean a relay or something is sticking from the heat. It works fine after I get it to work when it is cooler but gone when the day heats up. Any help would be appreciated. Hope this made sense because it is a kind of strange problem.
Old 01 Jul 2011, 07:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Dash Gauges/Needles Stop Working

Yes that is strange and it sounds like the old circuit board problem of a "cold solder joint" If the joint in a circuit board was broke or hardly making contact, heat or cold would affect if the circuit made contact probably by expansion and contraction. Might be something inside the gauge panel but I couldn't say what. Might be just a bad grounding problem. Here's a HOW TO link from our Tech section that tells how to take the dash apart to get to the instrument panel if you want to try and take it out. Sometimes taking something apart and putting it back together fixes it.

PT Dash Lamp Replacement

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Jul 2011, 08:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Dash Gauges/Needles Stop Working

Thanks for the advice. I knew it was strange problem. I thought about the solder joints but was hoping that it might be something that didn't require an easter egg hunt.