Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
cooling fan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2011, 12:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default cooling fan

I need to have the cooling fan on my 06 replaced. Is it something pretty easy to do myself, or would it be fairly cheap to have it done?
Old 05 Jul 2011, 06:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: cooling fan

You can buy one on eBay for about $100 (Make sure you buy one for your modle and year) and install it yourslef jif you have any mechanical skills at all. The dealer charges somewhere around $400-$600 for the fan and labor. A provate mechanic will charge a little less. Here's a write-up for the earlier modle PTs but there's not too much difference in doing yours as long as you don't have the turbo.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 12:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Re: cooling fan

Thanks! I did just that, and I had a mechanic friend do the install really cheap.
I also needed new motor mounts, bought all 3 for $52 online and he put them in for $120. From what I hear, thats an expensive job, glad I got it done for under $200. It helps to be friends with a mechanic.
My sis has an 01 and I like the way her horn sounds, thats the next thing on my list...
Old 24 Oct 2011, 12:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

An aftermarket fan with a lifetime warranty cost about $170 from NAPA. My mechanic charged an hour of labor to do the installation.

The fans can also be had for less than $100 if you search for them through Google (I don't know anything about the particular brands).
Old 24 Oct 2011, 02:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i got my fan for I think $89 off ebay and the swaping it out was really pretty simple I changed the hoses and the thermostat and cap filled with Zerok G 5 and bleed the system and realy to roll
Old 25 Oct 2011, 09:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

I went and got a junkyard fan preparing to do the brushes when mine apparently died. It had been intermittent for a while. Upon disassembly I found the real problem - Bad connector, burned contacts, melted plastic. I took apart the motor and discovered perfectly good brushes inside which I hit with cleaner and a wire brush, and also cleaned out the coils of dust and stuff, hit the contact point with cleaner and tthe brush until it was shiny like new. Figured I may as well refurb it since I had it all out anyway. JY fan didn't have the same connector (it was from a non-turbo maybe one of the years with the PCM fan since it only had 2 wires going in, while mine had 3 with a resistor on it). I didn't even use the JY fan brushes, mine were better.

So I soldered and heatshrinked the connector out of it. Next time I need to pull the fan of course I'm gonna need to undo all that - and come to find out my high speed relay is shot too (probably from the really bad connector.) Not too shabby.