Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Need help re: engine cutting off

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Jul 2011, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Need help re: engine cutting off

I found this wonderful forum three weeks ago when my husband was changing the cooling fan in our 2003 PT Cruiser and he couldn't figure out how to get the old one out. I directed him on how to do it after finding the info here, with pictures, so thanks

We have a new issue....when my husband has been driving the car, it just shuts off, usually around corners. The car is not overheating (we took care of that issue by changing the fan), but the engine light is on. We took it to a parts store and the code P0335 came up with three possible problems: (1) crank sensor defective, (2) check connector and wiring to sensor and (3) check trigger wheel for damage. My husband changed the crank sensor and checked the wiring and it's still doing it. As an aside, the power locks aren't working on two of the doors and the radio lights go out every once in awhile (which tells me we have some type of wiring issue).

Any ideas? We have 140,000 miles on it and I'm afraid that everything is starting to go wrong on it. We've had problem after problem with it, but need it to run a few months longer.

Thanks again!
Old 05 Jul 2011, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Need help re: engine cutting off

Welcome to the forum.

First: Did you use a Chrysler/MOPAR crankshaft sensor when the replacing the old one? Our PT's don't like aftermarket electrical parts from auto stores. Theses parts are copied from real Chrysler parts and not made with the material or care that genuine parts are.

Second: Did you check all the wiring to the sensor? Any kind of damage or tear of the harness will affect the wiring inside the outer wrapping.

The wiring on the doors is something that's going to have to be traced down.

Last. Do you know if the timing belt was changed around the 100K mark? If not, you driving on borrowed time and it could break at any time and leave you stranded.
Old 05 Jul 2011, 06:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Need help re: engine cutting off

Thanks for getting back to me so soon....it was your post about the radiator fan that we used to replace the fan, so thank you so much! The pics on how to change the fan were awesome and I do believe I could have done it myself if I didn't have my wonderful hubby doing it for us. I'm responding to your questions directly underneath each one below:

First: Did you use a Chrysler/MOPAR crankshaft sensor when the replacing the old one? Our PT's don't like aftermarket electrical parts from auto stores. Theses parts are copied from real Chrysler parts and not made with the material or care that genuine parts are.

I believe he bought it at the autoparts store, but I will mention that to him when he wakes up (out in the FL heat trying to fix the car for hours gave him a migraine). Will the car not like the new part enough that it continues to shut off?

Second: Did you check all the wiring to the sensor? Any kind of damage or tear of the harness will affect the wiring inside the outer wrapping.

He did check the wiring to the sensor, I remember him telling me that. What is the harness? Sorry, but I'm not very familiar with cars lol...

The wiring on the doors is something that's going to have to be traced down.

So you don't think that the electrical issue with the car and the radio are related to this problem? Would it give us a different code if there was another problem relating to the electrical issue/wiring issue?

Last. Do you know if the timing belt was changed around the 100K mark? If not, you driving on borrowed time and it could break at any time and leave you stranded.

Idk, but I mentioned the timing belt earlier to him when I was reading some of the other posts in here regarding engine shut offs, etc. and he said "we better hope it's not the timing belt...". From the worried look on his face, I take it this is an expensive fix? Is it something he can do at home? We just spent a ton of money on this damn car when the bearings went out on both sides and we had to have them replaced, not to mention all these "little" fixes we've had to do the past six months. Have you had a lot of problems with your PT Cruiser? We bought it used 3 years ago and it's the worst car we've ever owned. It's scary because it's our only car, so we need it to be dependable

Thanks for your help. It's really nice how much you help people in this forum!
Old 05 Jul 2011, 07:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Post Re: Need help re: engine cutting off

I just asked my husband about the timing belt and he said we already replaced it -- back at 80,000 miles. It went bad early I guess. Any other ideas?
Old 05 Jul 2011, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

[QUOTE=MamaCruiser;371118]Thanks for getting back to me so soon....it was your post about the radiator fan that we used to replace the fan, so thank you so much! The pics on how to change the fan were awesome and I do believe I could have done it myself if I didn't have my wonderful hubby doing it for us. I'm responding to your questions directly underneath each one below:

I believe he bought it at the autoparts store, but I will mention that to him when he wakes up (out in the FL heat trying to fix the car for hours gave him a migraine). Will the car not like the new part enough that it continues to shut off?

Yes, the aftermarket sensor could be bad enough so it wouldn't work altogether or stop working intermittently.

He did check the wiring to the sensor, I remember him telling me that. What is the harness? Sorry, but I'm not very familiar with cars lol...

The harness is the bunch of wires from the sensor to the main line of wires. It's covered or wrapped in a black tape so you can't see the individual wires.

So you don't think that the electrical issue with the car and the radio are related to this problem? Would it give us a different code if there was another problem relating to the electrical issue/wiring issue?

I'm not a mechanic but I think it's two different issues.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Idk, but I mentioned the timing belt earlier to him when I was reading some of the other posts in here regarding engine shut offs, etc. and he said "we better hope it's not the timing belt...". From the worried look on his face, I take it this is an expensive fix? Is it something he can do at home? We just spent a ton of money on this damn car when the bearings went out on both sides and we had to have them replaced, not to mention all these "little" fixes we've had to do the past six months. Have you had a lot of problems with your PT Cruiser? We bought it used 3 years ago and it's the worst car we've ever owned. It's scary because it's our only car, so we need it to be dependable

Problems with mine in 11 years and over 100K mounted to a small hand full. Harness on the Camshaft sensor, failed power steering pump, the fan (of course) and two sensors on the A/C. That's it.

The timing belt is NOT a job for amateurs. It's a 7 hour, tricky/hard/backbreaking job best left to someone who knows what they are doing. Beside the belt we tell everyone to also change the water pump, belt tensioner and drive belts. Parts are about $300, labor is the killer running somewhere around $800-$1000 because of the time involved.

Sorry your having so much trouble. A lot may have to do with the previous owner as you never know how well a used car was taken care of.

Good luck.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 05 Jul 2011 at 07:28 pm.
Old 07 Jul 2011, 10:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Need help re: engine cutting off

We took your advice and got the Chyrsler crankshaft sensor part and he's installing that this morning to see if that makes a difference. He also went back to Autozone and happened to speak to the manager who has a Jeep and he also said we need to get the Chyrsler crankshaft sensor part because it does make a difference for this one part for some reason....he also told my husband that it may be the engine control computer has gone bad considering it the shutoff doesn't happen all the time (if it were the timing belt, it wouldn't shutoff every once in awhile -- we'd be having problems with it constantly and we are not getting that code). And, again, we already replaced the timing belt once and it hasn't been another 100,000 miles yet.

What are your thoughts on it being the engine control computer? To buy this through Autozone, it will cost $279.99, plus tax. At the Chrysler dealership it would cost $704.48... a lot of money and you can't take it back if that's not what is wrong with the car. The Autozone manager literally showed my husband how to replace the part in the car, so no labor cost involved. I'm a little worried about buying a part that costs that much if that is not what is wrong with the car. Again, we are only getting that one error code about the crankshaft sensor....do you think the computer could be bad and that is why we are having issues with the door locks, radio, etc., in addition to the shutoff problem? We have reset the computer at least 4 times trying to clear everything out and it keeps bringing back the engine light with the crankshaft sensor code. Just picking your brain.....I am hopeful my husband will walk inside in about 30 mins and tell me the problem is fixed because we switched to the Chyrsler part

Thanks again for your help!!
Old 07 Jul 2011, 10:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

the computter could be the cause but then again it could be some thing as simple as a weak battery the PT will do all kinds of odd things when the battery is weak you might want to get that checked

as far as replacing the computor I thought that after you replaced it the dealer had to "Flash" it which I think puts in all youre cars codes and stuff
Old 07 Jul 2011, 04:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
the computter could be the cause but then again it could be some thing as simple as a weak battery the PT will do all kinds of odd things when the battery is weak you might want to get that checked

as far as replacing the computor I thought that after you replaced it the dealer had to "Flash" it which I think puts in all youre cars codes and stuff
Yes, the computer has to go to the dealer to be flashed. That's one of the many 'Chrysler only' things with the PT. There are places online that swear they can sell you or update your existing computer for very little, but I personally wouldn't go that route. You get what you pay for, so to speak, when it comes to parts for the PT.
Old 08 Jul 2011, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Need help re: engine cutting off

In response to your question about flashing the computer, yes they do have to do that - Autozone gets the codes from Chrysler, but we don't need to do that because -- YOU WERE SO RIGHT -- my husband put in the the Chrysler brand crankshaft sensor and it, to quote my husband it now "purrs like a kitten"!!! Woot woot!!! So these cars are very sensitive when it comes to the parts you put in them and it wanted the Chrysler part!

Thank you! I appreciate your help so much! You are the PT Cruiser Guru and I'm so glad we found you before we blew up the damn car lol...

Have a good weekend and I'll see ya next time something goes wrong
Old 08 Jul 2011, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Happy Cruising! We'll be here if you need us again.