Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Broken timing belt/whadoido

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Jul 2011, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Broken timing belt/whadoido

Ok...so my car broke down thursday. This forum was very helpful in determining that its my timing belt...sadly the repairs are going to cost me in the ballpark of 1500 dollars to fix...my stepfather said it could be cheaper to just have a new engine put in...was wondering if any engine besides the pt model would be combatable...he said possibly the dodge neon engine could work but told me to check on here for some advice...I have no way to get to work right now and am trying to get this fixed before I lose my shifts for good. Any help you could give me would certainly be appreciated. thanks,

JC
"proud owner of a chrystler paperweight"
Old 06 Jul 2011, 04:40 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Broken timing belt/whadoido

One question, how many miles you have in your car? what year? turbo or non turbo?
Old 06 Jul 2011, 04:45 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Ohh and what's with: "proud owner of a chrystler paperweight" ?
Old 06 Jul 2011, 04:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

1. 104,000 miles
2. 2002 touring edition.
3.because I'm stressed and broke and trying not to lose my job. the repair is going to break me and since it won't start or move...its basically a paperweight.
Old 06 Jul 2011, 05:15 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

You will need and 01-02 pt engine non turbo but I've seen one guy putting a 95 Sebring engine on his 02...So my guess is that any 2.4 Chrysler Non Turbo engine before 03 will do it.
BTW, sorry to heard about the belt but usually happens when it is not replaced on the specified time or miles: 90k miles or 84 months whichever comes first
Old 06 Jul 2011, 05:21 pm
Cool Cruiser

Timing belts on all engines are usually only good for around 100,000mi. Replacing then engine would buy you some time, but odds are any engine you are going to find to stick in there is gonna be a junkyard unit with 70 or 80 thousand miles on it... which will put you right back at replacing the timing belt in a year or two.

Welcome to owning a higher mileage used car.
Old 06 Jul 2011, 05:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

what I'm worried about is having to pay more for repairs than just the timing belt. From what I've been told there could be damage to the valves because the belt broke. of course being an automotive dunce I no more know what that means than I do about quantum mechanics. I appreciate all the help. My biggest problem is living an hour and a half away from my family. They're pretty much my only source for help. Thanks for all the replies and advice. It's much appreciated. Still love my car...we're just not on speaking terms.
Old 06 Jul 2011, 05:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaineMan View Post
Timing belts on all engines are usually only good for around 100,000mi. Replacing then engine would buy you some time, but odds are any engine you are going to find to stick in there is gonna be a junkyard unit with 70 or 80 thousand miles on it... which will put you right back at replacing the timing belt in a year or two.

Welcome to owning a higher mileage used car.
I would replace the timing belt, water pump and tensioners on the new engine before put it in, because any car 03 and older is already over the 84 months timing belt lifespan
Old 06 Jul 2011, 09:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

The PT uses a non-interference engine. The odds of you bending a valve are pretty darn slim.
Old 06 Jul 2011, 09:52 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

But if you break the belt at high speeds you will definitely bend the valves