Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

cooling system bleed valve

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2011, 09:13 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default cooling system bleed valve

Hi,

i am trying to bleed the cooling system, the problem is the bleed valve seems inacessable. Is there a knack to getting to this, also do i need to undo the nut with a spanner or does the nipple just pull out to release air/coolant? the biggest problem i have is actually getting my hand down into the tight space to even reach it. Any tips/advice would be great!

thanks
Old 08 Jul 2011, 09:20 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Re: cooling system bleed valve

The one near the tstat rite? I justuse a ratchet with an extension to unscrew it enough for it to bleed out and tightened it back up and I was fine

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 08 Jul 2011, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for quick reply,

yeh i think its more to do with that i havent got right tools to get to it, im no mechanic. I read somewhere on the forum that some people bleed by removing the rad cap letting it run to normal temp and that should also bleed the air out. Im not sure if this is a effective way of bleeding or not?
Old 08 Jul 2011, 10:49 am
Obsessed Cruiser

its not the bleed screw is actually super easy to get to and as far as tools id think a adjustable wrtench would work of you dont ahve the right size wrench but a long open end wrench cant cost that much to ahve the right tool
Old 08 Jul 2011, 06:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

I got in there with a little 3/8" wrench. That's as close as I could get to it. 10mm is too large and will strip the bolt corners. The wrench was very small--about five inches long.

Make sure you turn your heater on to full heat, so the air will be forced out of the heater core and lines. Also, you might want to purchase a 3 foot long one-quarter inch inside-diameter clear hose. Loosen the bleed bolt, pull the wrench away from the area, and press the clear tubing over the bleed bolt nipple. Place the other end of the tube toward a clean catch can under the engine. If you don't use the tubing, the coolant will get on your belts and alternator (you don't want that).

The bleed bolt at this point should be easy to hand turn--or use the little wrench to open the bolt enough. Start the engine--with the heater control on--and loosen the bleed bolt enough (if you haven't already) so that coolant and bubbles appear in the clear tubing. Add coolant to the filler neck as the level goes down. Once the bubbles disappear, scootch your wrench down and tighten the bleed bolt--not way tight--but nice and snug.

Pull the tubing away. Top off the filler neck if necessary. Fill your recovery tank to the midway between the add and full lines.

That's it.

Tim
Old 09 Jul 2011, 12:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle777 View Post
thanks for quick reply,

yeh i think its more to do with that i havent got right tools to get to it, im no mechanic. I read somewhere on the forum that some people bleed by removing the rad cap letting it run to normal temp and that should also bleed the air out. Im not sure if this is a effective way of bleeding or not?

That way worked for me, but you need extra antifreeze because it will boil over until the air is out. This is the way I have always did it with all my cars and it has always worked. Just make sure you take the cap off before you start the PT.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson