Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PCV Valve Replacement.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2011, 07:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default PCV Valve Replacement.

I just replaced my PCV valve after 73,000 miles of flawless operation in my 2003 non-turbo PT (2.4lt.). When I took it out, it seemed to have a bit of hard thread sealant attached to the outer threaded portion of the valve.

Well, I handscrewed the first few threads of the new valve into the valve cover and felt resistance, so I used a pair of channel locks to complete the procedure. Then I replaced the new OEM PCV hose (actually the only part I had to replace, anyway, since I had a nice rattle in the old valve).

Then I checked out--belatedly--my PT manual, and it said to apply thread sealant and teflon tape to the threads. Great!

Even though it's easy enough to do over again, has anyone else just screwed in their new PCV valve--without thread sealant--and had no vacuum problems? Or should I do the job over again, according to the shop manual? Considering the snugness while screwing the little thing in, seems like it was sealing up just fine.

Thanks for any replies,

Tim
Old 08 Jul 2011, 08:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: PCV Valve Replacement.

Tim,

The way you described it, it should be fine.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Jul 2011, 11:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thanks, Crewzin. I did put a rather positive spin to it. Subconsciously, I just hate doing things more than one--unless there is no way out ...

Later,

Tim
Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

So, I went ahead and bought some thread sealant the other day because I was bored, I guess. It was made by Permatex.

I get home and browse the back of the package--and it said not to use on plastic threads. Great! The PCV valve is made of plastic. So I just changed the engine oil instead ... cause I was bored, remember.

Today, I stopped off at Lowe's plumbing department to see what kind of pipe sealant they had. Oaty makes a little tube. On the back of the tube it says not to use on plastic. I put the tube back, and next to that one is another OATY product. The front and back label said it could be used for all threads--metal and plastic. I went home and sat awhile and thought. Then I just sat.

Sometime later, I went out to the garage and pulled my new PCV valve, cleaned the threads, and applied a little OATY White (to 400 degrees, whoo-hoo!) to the male end of the valve. It screwed in so easy, I almost screwed it in too far.

The moral of the story is, I suppose, that if you do something "questionable" to begin with, it's probably a good idea to do it over again--the correct way.

Tim