PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

P0455 Major Evap Leak Major issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Jul 2011, 09:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0455 Major Evap Leak Major issue

This is on a 2001 PT but system seems to be simlar to many cars not just PTs and it changed I think in 2003 to one that no longer used the LDP.

Just thought I would share my pain I have been going thru in reference to a P0455 Major Evap Leak. This started a long time ago but car had just been inspected and its every 2 years here in NJ. Anyway Figured it was just the Gas Cap so no big deal and drove it with the light on till it needed to be reinspected this year. Went and bought a new standard cap clear the codes and figure all is well....Nope.....error code came back after 2 good long driving cycles (short trips to the store dont seem to count).

I did a lot of searching and found many posts saying check all vacume hoses on the Evap system which run from the engine intake to the Purge Valve (front drivers side) to the back (pass side of fuel tank) to the mess of hoses over the tank and Leak Detect Pump / Filter and check valves. So I pulled the tank and check all the hoses and the VAPOR Canistorfor cracks no luck all looks good.

Next sugestion was change the Purge Valve (less than 50 bucks NAPA)This is a Valve front drivers side known to crack that opens and draws air back thru the Vapor Canistor to clear it. So I changed that and reset same result.

Light back on same code. The next sugestion was it could be a bad LPD (Leak Detect Pump). This is an air pump that pumps air into the evap system and the PCM monitors how long it takes to the presure to blead off ( a little to fast you get 442 minor leak way to fast 455 major leak) ps I am unsure where the preasure detect switch that feeds the PCM is at this time. Anyway changed the LDP (97 bucks off ebay from a dodge dealer in midwest) Reset the comp and same result light back on after 2 long driving sessions.

Now for anone that dosn't want to do there own work after trying the Gas cap maybe the best thing is a shop that can do a Smoke Test where they pump smoke into system to see where it comes out ? I have heard mixed results to this. Some seem to do well and others have spent tons of money and still have issues. I also found some people that had dealers that try a few things and then throw a PCM at the car (we all know that is around a $1000 deal) with no Sucess.

So anyway after trying the most common things (Gas Cap, Vacume Lines, Purge Valve, Leak Detect Pump) I was unsure what to try next and not willing to send it to a shop I decided to give it another try before just paying to get a sticker so to speak.

I modifyed an old propan presure regulator to supply 3/4 of a lbs of air preasure (Max is 1 PSI according to the tag on the EVAP Service Port).

Pulled the Gas Tank again (this is now the 3rd time 2nd was to change the LDP and check the Canistor for cracks) and connected it to the Tank and assorted hoses. Now I had to block off the filler connection to do this. Spray the whole thing with soapy water no leaks.....Gurrrrrr Then I though what about the Gas Cap maybe I had 2 bad ones ??? So I pulled the filler neck out of the car and hooked it all up as it would be in the car preasurize it again and sure enough a hissing from near the Gas Cap. WOW I thought. I really did have 2 bad Caps (nope) took the cap off and seal end of Filler with my hand and it still is hissing. So I took the filler off the tank and connected to the preasure regulator and then held it under water to see where the leak was.

Turns out the Filler is made of 2 pieces the metal tube and a Plastic insert that the cap screws into and the leak was between the 2. You can not take them apart so I thought no big deal I will get a New one.

Big Deal !! called a local dealer since I am now way over due inspection and in a rush to finish this deal. I give him the old number out of my parts book and he says no such number hold on I will check for updates. He comes back and say I am very sorry there must be some mistake on the number it does update but the current replacement that ends in AD instead of AA cost over $600 and that can't just be a filler tube. He looked it up him self and came back and said sorry but you are right with the number and the cost is like $630. I told him that is nuts and he agreed. I said thanks but I will try to fix the old one.

I took a power wire brush to the filler all around the joint (being carefull not to hit the plastic where the Gas Cap sits) then sealed it with Red high temp RTV (not that it will get hot but this stuff is very sticky and firm when dry. Allowed to dry overnight and retest and no leaks from the filler.

I have reinstalled and reset the PCM yet again and have one long trip still have the 1864 not ready code but time will tell. I will report back with results.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0455 Major Evap Leak Major issue

..or you could have moved to Florida where there's no inspection of ANY kind.

Only kidding. Great write-up and hope you did find the source of the leak.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:59 am
Senior Cruiser

Thank you for this information.
I get P0440 and P0441 codes frequently. In my case also, replacing the purge solenoid did not eliminate the problem.
I think I will check my fill system. I have wondered recently whether the one way valve in the air relief line (small tube along side of filler tube) could be a problem.

Small tip to the forum: One can learn a lot at a salvage yard; I have previously disassembled the filler system on a cruiser to learn how it all goes together.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just an addition I finally got my hands on and 2001 - 2004 Service manual and it dosn't cover the LDP system it covers the NVLD system. :-( Now looking for a 2000 manual which I think covers this LDP system Help
Old 20 Jul 2011, 07:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Red face Re: P0455 Major Evap Leak Major issue

Ok for all that thought I just went away. Nope I was just waitting for a result and it finally came today after sealing the filler and clearing all the codes I was still left with the 1684 for a long time it finally cleared today after 374 miles. 3 long trips and a lot of around town driving. Now all I have to do is make it to inspection before anything else breaks....LOL

PS still looking for the 2000 service manual pls pls
Old 20 Jul 2011, 07:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_wingman View Post
PS still looking for the 2000 service manual pls pls

Listen, there is NO 2000 service manual. The PT was built in 2000 but ALL models in that year are listed as 2001. The Chilton, Haynes and the Chrysler repair manuals all start in 2001.

The ONLY difference between the 2000 models and the 2001 is that for the frist couple of months, the PTs that came off the assembly line had only 2 window switches on the front dash. The driver had to reach back and hit the rear window switches at the back of the floor console if he wanted the back windows down. About 4 months into production, they changed the front window switches to work all 4 windows.

That's the only difference and they didn't make a service manual to just cover that. I gave you (in your other post) all the information there is about the Leak Detection Pump and it came from the 2001-2004 Service Manual. Here's the thread that covers what I added. It's at the very end.

Service manual
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 Jul 2011 at 07:23 pm.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 12:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, it is now a month since I pulled my fuel filler tube and used silicone seal as suggested by h_wingman.
At the risk of being premature, the P0440 and P0441 codes have not reappeared. Four weeks is a record amount of time for this car to be free of those recurring codes.
Thanks for the information.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 02:12 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Listen, there is NO 2000 service manual. The PT was built in 2000 but ALL models in that year are listed as 2001. The Chilton, Haynes and the Chrysler repair manuals all start in 2001.

The ONLY difference between the 2000 models and the 2001 is that for the frist couple of months, the PTs that came off the assembly line had only 2 window switches on the front dash. The driver had to reach back and hit the rear window switches at the back of the floor console if he wanted the back windows down. About 4 months into production, they changed the front window switches to work all 4 windows.

That's the only difference and they didn't make a service manual to just cover that. I gave you (in your other post) all the information there is about the Leak Detection Pump and it came from the 2001-2004 Service Manual. Here's the thread that covers what I added. It's at the very end.

Service manual
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Crewzin. But, the window switches are not the ONLY difference. The power steering resevoir is different. Which also made the modesty cover slightly different. There may also be differences that I am unaware of.
Old 20 Aug 2011, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's not bad news Low, that was the only big difference (I think) that the owner would notice and the only one I could think of at the time of posting. Point was that the 2001+ service manual was the only ones out there.