Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2003 overheating when driving at low speed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2011, 09:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2003 overheating when driving at low speed

My automatic 2003 PT Cruiser has started overheating whenever I drive at a low speed,it's fine when I'm driving on the highway going;after having a diagnostic test done at a shop I've had the thermostat&water pump changed,and the mechanic assured me this would stop the overheating..but no such luck My brother in law told me the fan in front of the motor would got stuck when he tried manually turning it,could this be what's wrong,and if not:what else could it be?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2003 overheating when driving at low speed

Assuming your crankcase if full of oil, your coolant tank is topped off. I would say your fan is not coming on when needed.

An easy check is to start the car and let it idle. When it comes up to proper operating temperature observe the fan to ensure its coming on. If the fan doesn't start despite the temp continuing to rise -- your fan is not working properly leading to the overheat condition.

The fan is also supposed to kick on when you turn on the A/C. Does it operate then?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 06:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

You might need a flashlight and a mirror to see the fan blades, turning. But I suspect you won't see them turn. It sounds like your fan is kaput. My 2003 Limited Edition lost the fan at about 65,000 miles.

Does your engine stumble at idle when the A/C is turned on? And does it blow hot air out the vents at idle--but cold air when on the road?

Tim
Old 12 Jul 2011, 07:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes,it blows hot air at first then graudually cold. I called a part place and they have a fan motor and a fan assembly,which one would I need