Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Bleeding air from cooling system

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jul 2011, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bleeding air from cooling system

I know it's been discussed on here before,but I don't know where to find it.I replaced the thermostat,and I think I need to bleed the air out of it,but don't know how. Can anyone tell me either how to do it,or where to find it?Also,which way does the thermostat go in?

Last edited by bogaz; 12 Jul 2011 at 11:18 am.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 11:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bleeding air from cooling system

Hopefully these pictures will answer both your questions and the link will tell you how:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you..._04_pt_cruiser
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Jul 2011 at 12:04 pm.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 12:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

also be sure to have the heat on so the coolant circulates through the entire system to help push out any air pockets.
1990 Chevy 454SS
1989 Chevy Suburban 2500
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 12 Jul 2011, 06:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Get one of these funnels, no mess nd gets all the air out: Amazon.com: Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel: Automotive

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 03 Jul 2012, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does the funnel really work for this application? i have used it on other standard type radiotors with no problem. i did notice real quick that the bleeder conveniently is aimed right at you. someone wasn't considering safety when they designed this. Also, elswhere in these forums i saw questions about overheating (I am having these problems too) and from my experience in aftermarket parts retail i have seen many cases where after a person bled the air from their system it went back to working normally.
Old 03 Jul 2012, 05:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtownCruzer View Post
Also, elswhere in these forums i saw questions about overheating (I am having these problems too) and from my experience in aftermarket parts retail i have seen many cases where after a person bled the air from their system it went back to working normally.

Yes your right but trapped air in the coolant system is only one of a few different reasons why the PT overheats. A bad thermostat, a clogged radiator, a cracked head or head gasket and the most common reason a PT Cruiser overheats is a bad radiator fan motor.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 03 Jul 2012, 08:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exactly. did not mean to make it sound like that was the only reason, but of course when you're not sure start with common, inexpensive and easy to fix problems. and to add to my previous post as well, the funnel did work and overheating has for the moment stopped, although i did have to fashion my own device only thing i need to add and i suggest anyone else that uses this do the same, is some heat shrink to the end of the funnel where i made my plug just to help keep it from slipping off into your radiator causing you to have to go fishing. anyone who wants instructions let me know and i will post them
Old 03 Jul 2012, 08:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

When I replaced my thermostat, I bought an OEM Chrysler one. It has a pre-positioned rubber gasket that has a "nub" in it. This nub fits into a recessed groove in the thermostat housing cover. You install the thermostat upside down in the thermostat housing cover, and when you get the nub in the groove, you know for certain that your thermostat is positioned exactly where it belongs. No if's and's or but's.

Naturally, you turn your thermostat housing cover right-side down to reinstall it in the thermostat housing (the face of which you cleaned, right?). While performing this feat of mechanical wonder, the new (OEM) thermostat will not fall from its proper position in the thermostat housing cover because of the nub/groove thing I already mentioned.

Tighten your thermostat housing bolts to ONLY 110 INCH pounds (not a lot, so an inch-pounds torque wrench is a must for people who don't wrench a lot).

Turn on your heater and set it to max HEAT. Fill up the spout with HOAT (I use Mopar) antifreeze, mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water.

The manual says to get a (three foot) length of clear tubing (one-quarter inch inside diameter) and open your bleeder valve (look at Crewzin's illustration--it's just below the thermostat housing bolts you just tightened). I used a little wrench because it's tight in the space down there. So then put in some antifreeze till a little comes out the bleeder valve (so you know it's open); push the clear hose over the bleeder valve nipple and direct the opposite end of the hose into a clean catch can, under the car. You use this hose so that when you fill up your thermostat housing cover to the top--and you're bleeding out bubbles and coolant--you don't get coolant all over your alternator belt, by the way. Open the bleeder bolt a bit more.

Keep (slowly) pouring in coolant until all the bubbles are gone and all you see in the clear tubing is a steady stream of coolant (and your filler neck is full). Now get your wrench on the bleeder valve and tighten till just snug--and pull off the clear tubing from the bleeder valve nipple.

Tighten the bleeder valve fully--snug and just a little more. Top off the thermostat housing cover neck to the top, and fill your reservoir bottle as needed. Run the engine till hot--keeping your heater control knob on full heat. Then turn off the motor, let it cool (a lot) then top off the filler neck again if necessary. Put your thermostat housing cover cap back on.

Save the coolant in your catch can in a sealed bottle for when you need it in the future (where kids and pets will NOT get to it). Turn off your heat control knob if it's summertime ....

Tim
mnahmnah and KtownCruzer like this.
Old 03 Jul 2012, 09:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

On this car, heater is a constant flow system, at least on my '01.
It doubles as a 'bypass'

Crewzin's is great, here's more just for color:
(first is actually a PT water neck adapted to a Neon, but close enough)

New, unmodified from Ma Mopar:
Old 08 Jul 2012, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

what year does that go on? sure not the 01 2.4. just curious