Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT overheating after radiator flush

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT overheating after radiator flush

It seems every year around summer my car has the same problems (I live in Texas), fan gets loud trying to cool the car.. I've taken it to the same place 2 years in a row who put in a new radiator last year but the problem goes away for about a year and then comes back..

Yesterday I checked the radiator fluid and it was brownish so I took it in to have it flushed. The stuff thats been in the car is the 'universal' green antifreeze but I've heard thats not the right stuff.. I got Zerex G05 which is supposed to be approved for this car and had the shop put that in and just driving it home and to work, the temperature gauge sits a full notch above middle 'normal' and driving to work it got into the red once, almost twice. Is this normal after a flush or is something else wrong?

I'm supposed to be leaving on a trip tomorrow night and trying to get the car checked out before that, but now I feel like I need to delay it. Thanks.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT overheating after radiator flush

#1, check for air bubbles. Take the radiator cap off and run the vehicle in the driveway for 10-15 minutes. That should be enough for any bubbles to work their way out of the system. Keep topping the coolant off as the level falls.

#2, use of the incorrect type of coolant may have gunked up your radiator. When you mix green and orange anti-freeze (even if its the kind that says "OK to mix with all types") the chemicals may react and form a sort of slime that can make clogs all over the place. Sometimes a flush takes care of this, sometimes the "flushing" action just breaks the slime loose so it floats around in the system till it sticks to something else.

If I were you... I'd try #1 first. If you aren't getting any bubbles and its still running hot then you need to remove both radiator hoses, stick a water hose in the radiator and blast the heck out of it. That might flush anything out that is stuck in there.

Otherwise, you are looking at more major work... like replacing the radiator or thermostat.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 10:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the help. I will check for bubbles today. Sorry for my ignorance (don't know alot about cars) but I'm taking the cap off before I start the car, not after? Thanks.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 11:02 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well the best thing to do is to bleed the system and there is a small bllled screw at the base of the long filler tube run the car get it warm open the bleedee let it run till it is bubble free and close it up
Old 13 Jul 2011, 11:17 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpassons View Post
Thanks for the help. I will check for bubbles today. Sorry for my ignorance (don't know alot about cars) but I'm taking the cap off before I start the car, not after? Thanks.
Remove cap before starting.

You could use the bleed valve as well... but honestly running it with the cap off produces the same effect and is a heck of a lot easier.

Done 5 or 6 radiator swaps and flush/fills over the years. Always done it that way... never had any issues.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 02:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

has the thermostat ever been replaced?

I would do like suggested above, the shop should have done this, but there could still be some air trapped. Also have the heat on while doing this to make sure the coolant os flowing through the entire system.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 13 Jul 2011, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did what was suggested at lunch. I opened the radiator and I didn't see any liquid in it and thought it might be low so I added some.. Started the car with the cap off and ran it.. I didn't see any bubbles come out but the liquid swirled around and eventually began to come out the top. I then put the cap back on and drove it around for about 25 minutes and it never overheated or went above normal on the temperature and the fan didn't seem as loud as before and its 102 degrees in Texas today.

So I'm not sure what the problem was, or if it still exists. I plan on leaving early friday morning on my trip and will drive it to work and back until then and if theres no problem, I'll stick to the plan.

Thanks for the help.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 03:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
has the thermostat ever been replaced?

I would do like suggested above, the shop should have done this, but there could still be some air trapped. Also have the heat on while doing this to make sure the coolant os flowing through the entire system.
Hello,
I don't know if the thermostat has ever been replaced. At least not since I've had the car.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 03:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpassons View Post
I did what was suggested at lunch. I opened the radiator and I didn't see any liquid in it and thought it might be low so I added some.. Started the car with the cap off and ran it.. I didn't see any bubbles come out but the liquid swirled around and eventually began to come out the top. I then put the cap back on and drove it around for about 25 minutes and it never overheated or went above normal on the temperature and the fan didn't seem as loud as before and its 102 degrees in Texas today.

So I'm not sure what the problem was, or if it still exists. I plan on leaving early friday morning on my trip and will drive it to work and back until then and if theres no problem, I'll stick to the plan.

Thanks for the help.
sounds like there was still some air trapped in the system and running with the rad cap off allowed it to escape. I would say you got it fixed. Just keep an eye on the gauge and the coolant level to be sure all is well.

2001 PT Cruiser 5-speed; 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass S; 1990 Chevy 454SS; 1995 Caprice Classic woody
www.rcktpwrd.com
Old 13 Jul 2011, 04:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have probably less than 1/4 jug of the Zerex left after the flush so I'll pick up an extra jug tomorrow just in case and take it on the trip with me since finding the stuff seems to be tricky (only NAPA has it).

Its amazing how a little air in the radiator can cause it to overheat.