Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Persistent Check Engine...Help please!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Jul 2011, 04:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Persistent Check Engine...Help please!

Good Morning!
I have a 2006 PT cruiser, 2.4, coding with a P0004 (fuel volume regulator control circuit high) and P0304 (misfire in cylinder 4). I have: swapped out all the spark plugs for dealer spark plugs and spark plug wires, fuel injectors, new coil pack, intake gaskets, new fuel pump, tried de-carbonization with Seafoam. I have done everything short of pulling the head. Anything anyone can think of? Any idea what could be causing these codes or how to remedy them? I am beating my head against a wall and completely out of ideas…

Thanks in advance!
-Samantha
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Persistent Check Engine...Help please!

Samantha, Why on earth would yo spend all that money throwing parts at your cruiser not knowing if they would cure your problem? Sounds like something a dealer would do at the owners expense.

Now for your codes. I'm not sure where you looked up that P0004 but the ONLY place I've found that code is on the VW forum. The codes don't go that low for a PT Cruiser.

Your misfire in Cylinder #4 is a popular code and if the plugs and wires, injectors and coil pack were changed as you said, you need to look for a vacuum leak around the upper manifold.

Best thing right now is to take the negative battery cable off for 5 minutes to clear the old codes and see what new code(s) pops up.

You also didn't say what is happening because yo have the code. Rough idle, hesitation, breaking up at high speed? What?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, shoulda said, my mom owns a mechanic shop so, the parts are much cheaper than they normally would be, I did all the work, so no labor, I really am just not wanting to tear apart the engine, I work pretty far from where I live, so losing my car for half a week isn't really my favorite option. No vacuum leaks, upper manifold is sealed. I am using a code scanner, and it is pulling the P0004 and the misfire, so it is there, even though it shouldn't be on a PT. It idles rough when the code is on, and codes if the AC is running at an idle. The strange thing is that when it codes it will switch every so often with the P0004 coded and P0304 as a pending code, I'll clear it and read it and it will come up with P0304 as a code and P0004 as a pending. With other cars, my mom has had what dealers call "phantom codes" in that the code does not relate to the car it is coding on but is rather just coming up with the other code for some reason. I think the real issue is the misfire, but I can't pinpoint the issue, just wanted to see if someone else has had the same issue...
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh, also, at speed no issue, code will sometimes clear at speed then recode at an idle...
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, that all helps but I'm out of suggestions. You replaced everything that most people have a problem with but I didn't hear you say that you did a compression check and maybe find out if #4 is low (which wouldn't be good).
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Have you considered swapping fuel injectors around and seeing if the problem moves?

The misfire in #4 could be fuel related.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Compression is perfect, swapped injectors, code still in cylinder four. I spoke with a Chrysler tech, he said that the 2.4 has an issue with carbonization, makes the valve not close all the way because of the build up, and I should come in and have him run a decarb, but that runs at about $150 and I really don't enjoy how dealerships like to run up the bill without asking... he also though it would probably come to pulling the head so no help...
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can clean everything up yourself with 1 can of Sea Foam. Maybe 2 if you want to throw a second can into the gas tank.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any specific way? I've run half a can through it twice, finishing half the can that i didn't use on the valves in the gas tank both times... it did run and idle beautifully for about a day after each treatment, but after a couple days in the 120 degree heat of Arizona it started coding again. It did keep it off longer than anything before though. Think I should just keep treating it a few more times?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 06:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

How are you applying the Seafoam? Are you doing the recommended feed a little in, feed a lot in, shut it down & let it sit for a while? That's the best method.

However, that said, Seafoam isn't that great in the scope of crazy decarb-ing chemicals. GM used to make "Top Engine Cleaner" which was AMAZING. They reformulated it, and now it's less good. I understand the second best thing in the world is "Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner." I'd pick up a couple cans of that vs. Seafoam. I think you will have superior results.

Tags
misfire fuel p0004 p0304