Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Running Hot After 100K

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jul 2011, 11:15 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Running Hot After 100K

I know it's summer time and we constantly need to watch the temperature guage. Today for the first time since new my 05 Turbo Convert needle went above the half way line and was creaping towards the red area. The A/C was on and the fan was blowing hard. The temperature never got close to an overheating stage, but I knew something was wrong. When I got home and let the engine cool, I opened the radiator cap an started adding water. I added almost 6 cups of water before it reached the top. After starting the engine, I was able to see some steam rising near the battery. It was difficult to see, but by the way the sun was shining, I knew it wasn't heat radiating. I couldn't see anything obvious from up top. There was no drips on the floor. I took a flashlight and looked in through the fan opening and it looked wet at the bottom. I then put her up on ramps to get a better look. There was definite signs of a leak in the radiator. I ordered a new one from RockAuto, so while I'm waiting, I'll have to keep my trips local.

I read a lot about fan failures, but not many radiator issues. I believe my issue is the seal between plastic and aluminum. I don't want to try any sealers, because I know that replacing the defective part is a permanent repair. Good thing I can fix these things myself, otherwise I'm sure it would be a $400-500 repair.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 06:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Running Hot After 100K

Thanks for your input. I see that you suggested the radiator to someone else that has a leak but can't find it. Hopefully that will help.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 06:48 am
Fanatic Cruiser

No problem. We all have to look out for each other.

Crewzin, why do you list your baby as a year 2000? When I ordered my first one that never materialized it was towards the end of 2000, but the model year was a 2001. No VIN was ever issued. I cancelled my original factory order when a local dealer advertised in stock LTD's at MSRP.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 07:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It was just something that was picked up buy a bunch of owners who kept their cruiser from the very beginning. The actual production of the PT started very early in 2000, somewhere around May. The first couple months had only two window switches on the dash and the only way for the driver to open the back windows was to reach back behind the floor console. You are right though, that there never was a 2000 PT. Even the very early ones were listed as 2001.

There was even a website devoted to the original owners of the year 2000 PT Cruisers ...

Welcome to the PT Cruiser Old Timers Club

...and a decal for those of who had the early models.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Jul 2011 at 07:26 am.