Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0344 Error code of DOOM! Please help!!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2011, 05:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0344 Error code of DOOM! Please help!!

I have a 2006 PT crusier that keeps giving me the CEL and the error codes did read P0344 Camshaft position sensor intermittent and 90340 camshaft position sensor circut.

I know I needed a new camshaft sensor from all the research and reading I have done. I just put one on today and it was running smoothly and everything was fun until about 20 mins ago when WHAM the CEL turns on again and the car goes back into "limp mode". I went to a store and had the them clear the codes out thinking "it's probably just needs a code clear" BUT ALAS. CEL is still on and the car is still reading P0344.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on ? Of where I can go from here?
Old 15 Jul 2011, 05:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0344 Error code of DOOM! Please help!!

YES. You bought a store-bought Cam sensor and the PT doesn't like after market parts. NO KIDDING. Buy a new sensor at the Chrysler dealer and your problem is solved. The after market sensors and almost everything electrical are cheap imitations of the real parts and either don't work from the start or work for a short while (like yours) and then stop working.

P.S. Don't be so angry. Come here first for any problems and the straight skinny on keeping your PT running.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Jul 2011 at 05:39 pm.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 06:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

What happens if you fix this issue and wamma talk happy to us? Ur usermame would be odd at that point.. I hope you join us!

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jul 2011, 04:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

So I went to the dealer. They charged me $65 for there camshaft sensor. It looks identical to the one I installed a few days ago. I even let them put it on. CEL light is still on and it's still in limp mode. Now the wipers won't turn off, and the back wiper won't turn on.

Any clue what's going on now!?
Old 17 Jul 2011, 05:51 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Does it still give you the same code after having the Chrysler sensor installed?The wiper issue sounds like it would be completely unrelated.Possibly even a bad multi function switch.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 06:37 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you reset the computer and clear the original cell by taking off the negative battery cable for about 5 minutes. Actually, hopefully, you took the cable off before installing the sensor. Never put anything electrical on the car (or any car) before taking off the negative battery cable.

Like SCBluePT said, the wipers should have nothing to do with what was happening with the Cam sensor. The front and back wipers use two different electrical circuits. One is the Multifunction Stalk (MFS), the other a switch on the front dash under the radio. Sounds like you have a major electrical issue going on.

To go along with something your said, yes, the sensors look the same. So do imitation NIKE jeans. You can't tell the difference but the fake ones will start to come apart after a couple washes. The threads keeping them together on the Real NIKEs are far superior to the fake jeans.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 02:03 am
Fresh Cruiser

When in installed it, i unhooked the battery, removed the old CamShaft Sensor ,cleaned up the area just to make sure it wouldn't have any kind of problems with connections. Put the one i got from Advanced Auto Parts on, hooked the battery back up. Started car.

It ran fine for about 20 mins. Car is running way smoother. Then BAM right back into CEL / Limp mode. I went to Advanced Auto Parts again, had them clear the codes out. It did nothing, CEL came back on and limp mode again.

Went to the dealer, had them install a new cam shaft sensor on the advice of this board. 20 mins after I left.....WHAM same problem but now the wipers problems came out of NO WHERE.

Went back to the dealer again today, they want me to try "another camshaft sensor and pay for it". I"m not about to keep shelling out money for the same part over and over again. This car is pissing me off beyond belief. On top of that , it's completely random when it goes into Limp mode. Some days it's fine, others it goes bat shit crazy.

If anyone has any clue what's going on help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'm just going to sell the car and never ever buy this brand again.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 06:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, here's a bit to read (2 pages) on your problem and I should have suggest it sooner. I've heard of it before , that when the code comes up from one of the sensors (Crank or Cam)that it might be the other sensor that is causing the problem. In other words, your getting the Camshaft sensor code but the problem could be the Crankshaft sensor where the problem is. Just a thought.

Read this:

Can't get rid of P-0344

Old 20 Jul 2011, 12:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a 2004 cruiser and have changed the cam sensor twice, it ran good for about a day and then BAM right back to the same sputtering! It drives me crazy also!
Old 20 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdean21 View Post
I have a 2004 cruiser and have changed the cam sensor twice, it ran good for about a day and then BAM right back to the same sputtering! It drives me crazy also!
Did you read the first answer I gave on this thread? Did you use a Chrysler part or an after market part and was it a Cam shaft sensor or Crankshaft sensor? According to the the last post I put in, one sensor can throw a code for the other.

Tags
camshaft sensor, engine help, error code, limp mode, po344