Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C freezing up?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2011, 10:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C freezing up?

Just purchased a used 07 base model PT. The A/C blows cold as ice on the highway and after about 20 minutes or so the blower only blows about 1/3 as hard as it normally does. If i turn off the blower for about 2 or 3 minutes then turn back on it will start to blow hard again. After a time it will do it again and i must turn it off again.

Also i noticed after running the A/C full blast if you switch the knob to the floor vents only then back to the dash vents it will blow out vapor for a few seconds. Its been over 100deg here for the last couple weeks so maybe its just the hot air from outside getting mixed with the cold air from the A/C i dont know, never seen that before. Only time i ever saw steam coming out of the vents was when a heater core goes bad.

So are these typical ideosynchrasis of the PT or is this an issue?
Old 17 Jul 2011, 10:22 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C freezing up?

You have a problem with the recycling switch. It's located on top of the accumulator and easy to fix. It's back by the firewall on the passenger side.

Buy the switch called the "low pressure switch" or "recycling switch", take off the electrical connector and without too much pressure, unscrew the old switch. You won't lose any freon. On the threads of the old and new switch there's small "O" ring. When you screw in the new switch, be very careful not to over tighten it so you don't break the "O" ring. That should fix your problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Jul 2011 at 10:25 am.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ill change that out. Thanks for the help.
Im sure i will be posting alot in the near future. This car needs alot of little fixes, previous owner aparently didnt believe in routine maintenence. Changed the sparky plugs this morning, i have never seen plugs look that bad. I swear there was .200" gap in them, i dont know how it even ran. Bell crank was worn out, that was a quick easy fix. Next issue is the shimmy under acceleration between 30-55mph.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 01:20 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hopefully you changed the plug wires also.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wires looked in good condition, probably should have anyway. Ill fire it up after dark and take a peek to check for any arcing.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 01:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

They may have been changed before. It's the crappy OEM wires that come with the PT that you don't want to keep. Any good set that might have replaced them will last about 100k. Most of the time you can't tell by looking at them but if the car starts right up first time and there's no hesitation or rough idle or breaking up at speed, go ahead and leave them in.