Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 PT dead..bout to give up..HELP??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2011, 06:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Angry 04 PT dead..bout to give up..HELP??

o4 PT CRUSER AUTO...90,000 miles..

drove it for 2 hrs went to eat got in to start it it started but was missing and sputtering like crazy? ,,stopped shut it down an restarted..same thing sputtered down the road and when it finallt got enough speed to shift to 2nd it jerked hard and shut down..

got it home and it blowed the ASO or ASD auto shut down fuse undert he hood,,replaced battery and checked starter wires looked for bad wires,,then it would try and start sputter and blow the fuse again? took it to dealer they said FUEL PUMPS bad,,replaced it ..same thing..cranks over and does nuthing..if you stop cranking and hit it again it blows the fuse again and sometimes it will blow it on the first crank??

ive unhooked the fuel pump back at the tank [plug] and it still does it,,,also unpluged the exhaust sensors same thing..

I switched the relays around still blows,,you can feel the relay kicking in..

ive crawled all under it looking for wires rubbed into or cut ,,nope..

check everything i can in the harness under the hood..cant fine anything..

replaced the crank sensor,,same thing,,

tryed to get codes in speedo..3 clicks and hold shows nuthing..no response.is this right?? on an 04?

befor this happened I got engine light warnings and checked that out it said exhaust sensor was bad..it would come on and go back out ..never replaced it..it was not on when this happened and ive unpluged them both no help

also sometimes the radio lights would not come on..you could hit the horn button a few times and they would come on..this was befor it shut down.

been on this 2 weeks..tryin to find it..do I need a secmatic to trace the ASO link?

please shoot me some info or advice..thanks

Last edited by drumrooster; 17 Jul 2011 at 06:24 pm.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 06:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 PT dead..bout to give up..HELP??

ALL PT's show a code if there's any stored in the computer if you do it right. If no codes are stored it shows "done".

Try it again.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 07:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Sounds like it could be a computer issue too possibly... Did you check your fuel pressure at the rail? If u lived close to me in altoona pa I could help you out lol

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 17 Jul 2011, 08:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

I tryed the code deal a dozen times no luck nuthin but the milage shows up?? im in Ky sorry or I would have it here asap..im outta something to drive.. :[..borrowing my moms car,,real fun..

would it be the computer being it dont show any codes?..
Old 17 Jul 2011, 08:51 pm
Cool Cruiser

When my computer went bad, it did something similar, but ended up just not starting at all and engaging the ASD relay and a few other "shutdown" features.

CRUZIN is right, if you do the dance correctly, it will show "dONE" if there are no codes.

The dealer can just do a scan and see what is going on in the electrical system, my mech showed me a few different schematics of relays and whatnot that were engaged because the PCM went nuts.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 08:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

thanks..weres the best place to buy a pc? ebay? or just a local junk yard? I read were it has to be programed for my car with the vin and stuff? the ones on ebay do it for ya befor shipping ..

and i tryed the key thing till i think i need a switch now,,lol..it ant gonna work,,

any other ideas?? thanks for the help so far..oh it cranks over now but will not start,,and blows hhe fuse again
Old 20 Jul 2011, 07:51 am
Cool Cruiser

ok guys heres one that you will NOT get the code from with the key switch deal??? I did it 100 times and nuthing..had a guy at the parts store who had a PT for years try it and nuthing...

buttheres a red light on in the center of the speedo? and every time i do the key deal it blows the ASO fuse again??

hate to drop the $ on a PC but thats what im guessing? got a manual now and tracing the ASO circut ..iof I cant find anything guess i"ll get a computer?

THoughts??
Old 20 Jul 2011, 08:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

The red light, is it in the middle of the left gauge? If it's there, in the center of that gauge it's the security/alarmed light. I don't think the computer or whatever circuit does it, is recognizing your key. Do you have another key that you can try? I don't know if that would blow the fuse
Old 20 Jul 2011, 09:46 am
Cool Cruiser

yea I have 2 keys and ive used both..still no codes or anything shows up..

im thinking a short in the key switch or steering colum..or the PCM..
Old 07 Aug 2011, 09:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

ok thought id post whats been done..my car NEVER would give me any codes even before this happened...sooo I got a new computer $179 installed that and it stopped blowing the ASO fuse but it ran sputtering..

now it give s me codes,,,coil and oil sending unit..

replaced coil $65 and sending unit..

runnin great now..thanks for all your help man,,funny that my local dealer couldnt fix it..and they cost me $300 in parts i didnt need..

oh well...

Thanks again..