Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC blows warm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Jul 2011, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC blows warm

I have been reading your posts on here since the day i got my PT, and up until now everything has gone ok. I have a 2001 PT non turbo auto trans, has a few small issues, but for a free car, I can't really complain, except that I can't get cold air out of the ac system. I have tried many things, and Im stuck. I read all the threads and posts, but what I really need is someone to just give me some straight answers. I replaced the fan motor when it went bad, the coolant was all flushed and replaced, new stat, recharged the system, new lps. The system seems to operate, but it only blows warm air out, even with the fan on? It seems the compressor is cycling, but Im honestly not sure. The fan runs as soon as you turn on the ac and it runs on low then high and back to low and so on. I bought a recharge kit from autozone and the pressure it right in the green on the gauge. i have no way to check the high side pressure, the guage only fits the low side port. It doesn't seem to matter what speed you ddrive, its still always warm, but it is noticebly different at idle as the rpms tend to fluctuate up and down about 100-200 rps. I am the second owner of the car and just found out from original owner it started blowing warm 2 years ago, and he never did anything with it. Now it is my headache, and Im lost. Any help, I would greatly appreciate as I am new to Chrysler and not really a huge Chrysler fan. Thanks
Old 18 Jul 2011, 08:23 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: AC blows warm

A lot of places will check your cooling system for free, you may want to have it checked out. I think Pepboys and Sears are two places that will give you a free check. Of course they're looking to sell something so if they come at you with a major repair then get a 2nd opinion

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 18 Jul 2011, 10:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have been to Pep Boys once with it already, as I have a friend who is a manager, but they couldnt seem to figure it out, and wouldnt go any further into it without me paying, and I refuse to ever pay a garage for something I know for a fact i can fix myself. The problem is, diagnosing is a pain in the you know what and they charge an arm leg and first born child everywhere you go just to tell you whats wrong, and I have read alot on here saying that most places can't seem to get ac issues right anyway. I just need a different direction to go in with it.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 10:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

make sure the electric fan in front of the radiator is working properly.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 10:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

Yes the fan, check that.. It seems that we have a fan issue 3 times a day on this forum during the summer lol

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 18 Jul 2011, 10:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i just replaced the fan motor last month, and its working fine.
Old 18 Jul 2011, 11:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill

The high and the low setting? Whats the air pressure showing at the compressor? Are your metal pipes under ur hood getting cold to touch and condensating? Any weird noises when you turn the dials, is the hot air hotter than the acs air that blowing out now? When you turn on the ac does your idle go up?

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 19 Jul 2011, 07:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

The high and low fan are both working as I said, the fan motor is brand new. I have no way to check pressure at the compressor. There is nothing cold under the hood, and I mean nothing, this is the hottest running car I have ever had, but it doesn't overheat. The heat setting is way hotter than the ac setting. The idle does jump and fluctuate when the ac is on, fluctuates 100-200rpms.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 08:10 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You say there's nothing cold under the Hood?

This is from an A/C site.....

If the line coming out of the evaporator is frosty cold then your system is working good but if its warm then you have a blockage or expansion valve problem.

Here's the site that explains it all .....

Car Air Conditioning System :: common car problems | car service manuals | online car owners manuals – Las Vegas Nevada 89109

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Jul 2011, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Does anyone know where i can find the procedure to replace the accumulator? I would greatly appreciate it. I believe this may just be my problem, once i replace it, I will keep you posted.