Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air intake gas milage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Jul 2002, 12:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Air intake gas milage?

Hello all..I'm new here and have a question about cold air intakes.I've read much about slightly better performance but have not seen any numbers on better gas mileage. Anyone notice an improvement? It would help to justify the costs to my wife! My PT is an automatic

Old 11 Jul 2002, 08:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Larry,
First off..welcome to the forum. Air intakes: they do tend to be "pricy" if you go for an aftermarket make like Borla or Air-Raid, but www.ptdoityourself.net has ways of making one yourself at less than half the price. They make more noise, especially when your foot is buried to the floorboard and all that extra air is rushing towards the throttle body and it seems to help in the performance. Better gas milage? Not really sure...the only thing that gave me an extra couple of MPG were the double platinum plugs. Maybe somebody else had figures before and after an air intake change.

Old 13 Jul 2002, 01:31 am
Cool Cruiser

Not much of an increase in milage but much better performance. I have the K & N FIPK kit. I would guess I would get better milage if I kept my foot out of it. 13,000 miles 21 city 26 highway most of the 26 mpg was at 80 mph in South Carolina
Old 10 Aug 2002, 11:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I put the K&n on my 2002 and noticed a 2 mpg decrease maybe it's my foot thrashing my throttle to hear the roar of the air.

T13
Old 02 Sep 2002, 12:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

I recently had a k and n fipk installed, and i definetly noticed more power, however nothing extra off the line. Gas mileage has also gone up 2.5 miles a gallon.

Old 05 Sep 2002, 03:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did one of the PTDIY mods - I think it was #4. Cost me about $40-45. Also installed a Bassani dual exhaust. Mileage went up 2-3 MPG, power went up NOTICEABLY, air intake noise went up noticeably, fun went up markedly and I love that duals sound! Recommend you do your own mod and put the extra money towards the duals! Contact Race & Street for best pricing on all your stuff - Bill Rae is where I got almost all of my stuff and he's great to deal with.

17" Mille Miglia/Potenza RE-950s;HD sway bars/strut brace;H&R sprngs;Zenon cvrs;Bassani duals;Hot Rod Crsng grle;intake mods;gauge pod;more;Pix @ http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=4292219387
Old 24 Sep 2002, 01:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just completed a new modification to my Star Cruiser and thought I'd share it with the rest of you. I installed the K&N drop in filter and removed the white plastic internal nozzle,a month or two ago, but still wasn't happy with the performance. I hadn't ever removed the lower half of the airbox to see how the stock system got it's air, so I removed the lower air box and noticed a "snorkel-like" piece of plastic tubing that extended from the side of the airbox, down into an opening in the fender well. If you look at the internal diameter of this snorkel, it appears to be smaller then the throttle body opening, thus, a restriction in the airflow. So, in an effort to remove this restriction, I bought a 3" diameter, jointed, aluminum, elbow vent duct from my local Ace Hardware for $1.59. I then cut out the original snorkel, from the lower air box, and opened the hole to 3" and inserted the tapered end of the duct into the hole. I then removed the first joint of the duct, closest to the fender well, so that the duct opening is just above the cold air opening in the fender well. I then used a little "Shoe Goop" around the duct on the inside of the air box to hold it securely in place. There is a NOTICEABLE increase in power and the throaty sound when pushing the accelerator down is very pleasing. I can't give any input on gas mileage yet, but I'll let you know if there's any change. I think this is just as good a system as any of the aftermarket cold air induction kits, and a LOT less money. This is also a good fix for you turbo owners out there who don't have a cold air system to fit to your engine. Happy Cruising!

Scott Baker - Driving Star Cruiser
Old 25 Sep 2002, 02:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Nothing can touch the AIRAID intake, in my opinion. And the opinion of everyone else that has played with intakes before finally making the huge upgrade to AIRAID.

Old 01 Nov 2002, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Any dyno results on airaid or other intakes?

2002 PT Cruiser Stock
Old 08 Nov 2002, 03:58 am
Cool Cruiser

I installed an Airaid intake on my 02 Dream Cruiser some while back, and love it. I am getting better performance and 3-4 better mpg. If I would keep my foot off the floor (it sounds awesome) the mpg might be better. I have 2000 miles on my cruiser now and on the last tank of go juice I got 24.6 mpg. This is 75% short trips the rest hiway cruising.

happy safe cruisin