PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sounds like an Airplane.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2011, 04:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Sounds like an Airplane.

I have a 2008. It's been running loud. I had it tuned up, and my guy what like "Sweet Jesus what is that noise?" And proceeded to try to find it and came up baffled. The farther left you go the more like an airplane it sounds. Veer right or make a hard right and the noise goes almost completely away.
He checked the the CV joint and the steering column. That's not it. He replaced the motor mounts and the trani mount. That's not it.
These were the codes that came up: PO562-Volt low. PO700. He said these codes were inconclusive. And didn't really help him diagnose. AND when it's up on the mounts it makes no noise. Purrs like a kitten. Was missed before. The only reason he caught it was because he came and picked my car up to work on it.
I took it to my other guy today and had him drive it. He said it's either the Transmission or the Hubs?? FFS. The difference between the two issues is thousands of dollars! Am I the only one whose 2008 sounds like an airplane?? Help!
Old 20 Jul 2011, 05:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Sounds like an Airplane.

My bet is wheel bearing. You can do this - jack up front of car, grab wheel aat top and bottom and try to push in/pull out - there should be no play - but P0700 is transmission code - better have that checked out.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 20 Jul 2011, 11:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

He did that. He says it's not that. You think I need to take it to the dealership to have the codes diagnosed?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 07:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Your P0562 code is for low battery voltage, so if you've run your battery down that will explain why the code set. Most auto stores will give you a free battery and charging system check.

The P0700 is a generic code for something wrong with the transaxle. That needs further diagnostics with a DRBII scanning tool from the dealer or most any mechanic.

I would go along with QSD on the noise being a wheel bearing. Do the check he suggested. There should be no play when you grab the top and bottom or both sides and shake the wheel. Try both front wheels.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sounds like a bad wheel bearing. Very common problem on these cars. Just changed them on the GFs PT yesterday. They started making noise at 30K and I put it off till 45K when it got way too noisy and I had to make time to do it.

The drivers side is so bad that you can turn the bearing in your hand and even someone with bad hearing can hear it...
The reason they wear out so quickly is because they are ball bearings instead of traditional tapered roller bearings. Ball bearings lack the radial or axial load for use as a wheel bearing. Their only benefit is less friction. ANyway next to replace is the clutch cylinders, brakes and control arm bushings, intake gaskets etc. I don't mind all the repairs at low mileage but the car doesn't perform like a Mercedes or a BMW to warrant this much repairs on a regular basis.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Might have to disagree a little bit on the front bearings. Quite a lot of us have had the same bearing sin for over 100,000 miles and they are still good with no noise what-so-ever.

Some research on the subject can be found here...

ground wires from body to front struts?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not a ground problem this one has those(and ohm out fine) and so did many others back when I was an ASE master tech. This car other than parts failing is like new and started falling apart a little before 30K. Driven a little in town and spends most of it's life on trips to the airport (flight attendant)

I replaced many many of these bearings on sebrings neons and other chryslers that used the same type of bearing. Just poor choice of bearing type for the application. Even with a little searching you will find many of these cars having them go bad at well under 30K and typically not covered by warranty.
This car reminds me of a fiat or a triumph or MG...
Old 24 Jul 2011, 11:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

It's the Hub Bearings. It will cost $900 to replace. I am so happy it's not the Transmission. But I also have to rent a car. Because once my mechanic got it apart, he was horrified that I had been driving it so long. It started making the noise a couple months back....but it's gotten so bad I was afraid I was going to snap the axle. It was definitely metal grinding against something. I am just glad we figured it out. And that I didn't have to pay the dealer $165 to diagnose the problem.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 12:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Hub bearing, wheel bearing, same thing. Glad you found your answer but it sounds high in price unless you ruined something along with the bearings and I guess he's doing both sides.

Old 24 Jul 2011, 04:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008NorCal View Post
It's the Hub Bearings. It will cost $900 to replace. I am so happy it's not the Transmission. But I also have to rent a car. Because once my mechanic got it apart, he was horrified that I had been driving it so long. It started making the noise a couple months back....but it's gotten so bad I was afraid I was going to snap the axle. It was definitely metal grinding against something. I am just glad we figured it out. And that I didn't have to pay the dealer $165 to diagnose the problem.

That's a quite high price. Even if the hubs were bad they are only around $50 each. So a pair of bearings and hubs would run just over $100 in parts shipped.

I'd gladly do it for half the price he is asking and have it done the same day. Actually in about two hours.