Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Trouble shifting manual shift when hot.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Jul 2011, 08:27 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trouble shifting manual shift when hot.

My wife's '06 Cruiser with manual shift gets hard to shift when it gets hot or warm. We've recently changed the fluid and filter, no change. There is still lots of clutch so I know it's not that. It works alright when the temperature is cool out but if the temperature warms up any fair amount and the car gets warm, after while it is hard to shift. Any help would be greatly appreciated cause the dealer just wants to rip me off. Thanks.
Old 20 Jul 2011, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Trouble shifting manual shift when hot.

Manual Transmission shifting issue.

This is the same problem. Can't believe the clutch would be like that.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The GFs car has the same symptoms. Ended up ordering the clutch master and slave cylinder. When it's cold there is 3/4-1" of movement of the slave cylinder. When it's hot there is 1/4- 5/16" movement. So obviously the problem is there. Either air or the seals are bypassing when the brake fluid gets hot.

Hopefully I don't have to change the clutch too soon. The clutch/pressureplate for these cars is quite a bit more expensive than for other cars and with only 45K on it... (prob started around 30K) Unfortunately she bought the car before I met her. I would have had her get an auto or.... Can't sell it as it isn't worth anything so I'm stuck fixing it till it dies.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 10:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, just bought a new to me near perfect 2006 PT with 77,000 miles. The only issue during test drive was the clutch friction point was close to the floor and it got harder to shift as it got hot. Made me worry about wearing out my synchronizers early. In my ignorance figured it only needed a simple adjustment. Found this forum and went through the hydraulic clutch fixes including replacing the master cylinder. Thanks guys, you do need to hold it vertical, shaft down to get all the air out of it. With the hydraulics eliminated as a cause, decided to replace the dragging clutch. The old clutch peddle was much stiffer. The new clutch has an "overcenter" feel typical of diaphragm sping clutches, where the peddle force is less as it nears the floor. It drives great, really enjoying the PT experiance.

Since I have seen many hot-hard shifting posts, think that once you have eliminated the hydraulics, you probably need a new clutch, especially if it is springy all the way to the floor.

Thanks, DBKPT

PS: Have installed many clutches in all types of vehicles, would rate the difficulty of the job on my non-turbo 2.4L, T350 transmission as about average for a FWD car

Last edited by DBKPT; 21 Nov 2013 at 10:58 am.
Old 21 Nov 2013, 07:35 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Turns out a simple, under dash adjustment is the fix for most issues.

Stiff transmission when hot?
Old 31 May 2016, 07:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello all. I have the same problem. I believe the problem may be in the flexing of the FIREWALL itself. Thin metal is more flexible when warm. Have someone rapidly depress the clutch while shinning a light to the right side of your brake reservoir. Mine jumps all over the place. I suspect that extra movement in the firewall robs the extra travel the slave cylinder needs to disengage properly. I have replaced both master and slave cylinders. Bled the hell out of them. Done the clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing. All to no avail.
I plan to machine a plate that goes over the master cylinder and the two bolts to increase the stiffness, but this is just a guess. My uncle wants to put some kind of shim in between the slave cylinder's rod and the metal cup it pushes against, which seems a little... rigged for my taste.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't see enough flex to cause the clutch to not release. Any flex would only be measured in the thousands of pedal travel.

You can adjust the pedal height on the slave cylinder and if extending it all the way has an impact then you might be onto something.

On Loml's pt it ended up being the pressure plate. It was fine when cold but in the summer was nearly impossible to shift. I finally changed it... She was out of town for a while so I worked on it little by little as I did it in the summer and it was 110* when I did it so no hurry...
Was a royal pain compared to others I have changed. The pressure plate was even hard to beat loose with a sledge so pushing in a pedal obviously wouldn't do much. After this car she has learned no more standards!!!!!

Hers started going bad when it was under warranty and Chrysler wouldn't do anything about it. They also wouldn't change the wheel bearings that went bad all when under 30k. They also wouldn't replace the rear window that fell out going down the road that had a TSB for the problem. So not only are no standards allowed on the property other than the PT but no fiats.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 05:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

You are right. Yet, my problem was worse upon closer inspection. I had a crack in the firewall. Two washers on the master clutch cylinder ( ID = 1/4" OD = 1 1/4") and it shifts like a dream.
Old 04 Jun 2016, 09:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wonder if it cracked from having to push so much harder on the old clutch. Loml's was very very hard to push in when the temps got up to the 117* range in the summer.

Hopefully you can get a bigger chunk of steel in there for a doubler.
Old 13 Sep 2016, 02:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

****Update****

It's been two years since I replaced the clutch and got rid of the hard shifting. Now the symptoms are returning in the heat. I'll look it over and hope it's something other than the pressure plate not releasing again but it's unlikely it's a different problem this time.

Car now has just over 80k on it. The oe clutch started dragging before 30k. Waited way too long to replace it.

So to me it looks like a design issue with the pressure plate since the fix doesn't last and I have read so many others with the same issue. Even a friend still in the trade said he sees them on a regular basis and his shop won't warranty the clutch replacement because they see the same failure.

So when it gets to where it's too much for her to deal with we will make a decision. Really wanted to keep the car for her to drive to work as the parking lot at the airport has small spots and damage is the norm. We will most likely sell it or trade it in or if I'm feeling adventurous I'll think about replacing the clutch again which was a royal pita since I don't have access to a lift anymore.
I need to buy a lift....

So anyway that's the update and anyone wanting a pt please please buy an automatic. They get better mileage are more fun to drive cause they don't have that awful clutch and not enough gears...