Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Crossed Terminals! Please Help!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2011, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to insanepagen
Exclamation Crossed Terminals! Please Help!!!!

Hi everyone, I have a problem, a big problem! I upgraded the big 3 in preparation of installing a killer car stereo and I replaced the battery with an odyssey pc1200lmjt battery. My step father decided he was gonna check my work when I wasn't home and thought I had the battery terminals reversed so he "put them on the right posts". As soon as he did it he seen the labeling on the battery and promptly put them back. Now the car will start, no fuses are blown under the hood or in the interior fuse box, the fan kicks on when engine heats up all the lights and window switches and door locks work. But the instrument cluster doesn't. The speedometer, fuel gauge, temperature gauge and the rpm gauge are dead. The engine light, oil light, air bag light, and the little red dot by the fuel gauge light up. Oh yeah and the odometer flashes "no bus". What did my step father do to my car??? Help!!!!!!
Old 21 Jul 2011, 09:42 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Dill
Default Re: Crossed Terminals! Please Help!!!!

Dd you check the fuses near the airbox?

If You Have Not Already, Add Yourself To The PT Cruiser Members Map!

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jul 2011, 05:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yes and they are all ok. This is what scaring me, all the fuses under the hood as well as in the interior fuse box are all ok.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 05:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Can you afford a lawyer for small claims court? Lol. No seriously uve got an issue that could vary from tiny to omfg huge.

To Learn More About My PT Cruiser And Its Mods Visit My PT's Blog At www.PickledPt.blogspot.com
Old 21 Jul 2011, 06:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Check again. Look at and even take out the No#17 fuse in the PDC under the hood. That's the IOD fuse and goes out when a "no fuse" shows up. The other fuses you want to double check are #18 in the PDC and #10 and #13 in the interior box.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 06:04 pm
Senior Cruiser

Crewzin, does the pt have a main fuse? Or is it just the fuses in the fuse box under the hood?

Also id check some wiring. Sometimes you can fry a wiring harness or two that lead from the batt to the fuse box

Old 21 Jul 2011, 06:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No main fuse that I know of. The IOD fuse is the closest thing there is.

All vehicles are equipped with an Ignition-Off Draw (IOD) fuse that is disconnected within the Power Distribution Center (PDC - Fuse #18, 20amp) when the vehicle is shipped from the factory. Dealer personnel are to reconnect the IOD fuse in the PDC as part of the preparation procedures performed just prior to new vehicle delivery.

The term ignition-off draw identifies a normal condition where power is being drained from the battery with the ignition switch in the Off position. The IOD fuse feeds the memory and sleep mode functions for some of the electronic modules in the vehicle as well as various other accessories that require battery current when the ignition switch is in the Off position, including the clock. The only reason the IOD fuse is disconnected is to reduce the normal IOD of the vehicle electrical system during new vehicle transportation and pre-delivery storage to reduce battery depletion, while still allowing vehicle operation so that the vehicle can be loaded, unloaded and moved as needed by both vehicle transportation company and dealer personnel.

The IOD fuse can be used by the vehicle owner as a convenient means of reducing battery depletion when a vehicle is to be stored for periods not to exceed about thirty days. However, it must be remembered that disconnecting the IOD fuse will not eliminate IOD, but only reduce this normal condition. If a vehicle will be stored for more than about thirty days, the battery negative cable should be disconnected to eliminate normal IOD; and, the battery should be tested and recharged at regular intervals during the vehicle storage period to prevent the battery from becoming discharged or damaged.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 07:41 am
Fresh Cruiser

All fuses are fine including the iod. The car starts fine. All fuses are fine. I really think my baby is brain dead.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 08:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Tell your step father you need need a blank check because you need to take it to the dealer.

Old 22 Jul 2011, 10:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

He is telling me that its my fault for not telling him what I did ahead of time!! He is such a douche!!!