PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 PT cooling fan keeps running/dead battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Jul 2011, 02:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 PT cooling fan keeps running/dead battery

Hi,
I noticed the cooing fan on my 2006 Pt Cruiser kept running last night after I shut the engine off after about twenty minutes. This morning I awoke to a dead battery. I am guessing the fan kept running and killed the battter. I live in Albuquerque, NM, and yesterday was the first thundertorm of the summer, and it was 95F too.
Any suggestions of the problem? I haven't jumped it yet to see if the fan comes back on now, but will do that in the next day or so.
Thanks for any help.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 PT cooling fan keeps running/dead battery

The radiator fan is the biggest known problem for the PT. Mostly in the older years but if Chrysler is still using the same fan, we'll see more newer PT's (like yours) start to have problems.

Usually, the fan stops working, where you have the exact opposite problem but it's probably still the fan motor that has gone bad. I can tell you how to test it IF the fan wasn't running but don't know what to say with yours.

I'd jump the car and if the fan starts up again. Plan on replacing it. You can get a new fan and housing for under $100 on eBay and we have instructions for the older model on replacing it in about 2 hours. Shouldn't be that much difference with the newer 06+ models. We also have instructions on how to rebuild the motor if your so inclined.

Not sure what to tell you for now. The number #15 fuse in the TIPM (fuse box) in the engine compartment runs the fan but you don't want to be digging into that every time you want the fan to turn on or off.

On your model, see if yo can see the electrical feed (one set of wires in a harness) going to the fan motor (right in the middle of the fan) and see if you can disconnect it from leaning over the top. If you can pull it apart, you can use that method to turn the fan on and off. BE CAREFULL, Please.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 22 Jul 2011 at 10:07 am.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 09:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

My wife's PT is doing the exact same thing. Its an 06 as well. I have replaced the High and Low fan relays, which seemed to help for like 3 days, but now its doing it again. Yesterday I bought the Sensor that controls the fan (Temperature Switch I think). It was $22.00 bucks at NAPA. Im gonna replace it this morning. Im hoping that its sending false readings to the relays telling them to turn on. Thats why i dont think its the fan, but I might be wrong. Im just going through the process of elimination right now and hoping for the best. I found this forum while I was researching the relays and really appreciate all the great advice so I decided to join.
Old 23 Sep 2011, 09:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Hi. If the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor works, please let us know. Thanks.
Old 06 Feb 2013, 03:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am following your posts to see if someone comes up with a solution that works. I have a similar problem except mine is a 2007. About 4 times in the last 5 months my cooling fan comes on when the car is not running. Twice it ran all night until completely draining my battery. The mechanic says he can't fix it if he doesn't catch it doing this, but it's not common enough for him to know when to catch it. It DOES seem to occur more often during a heavy morning dew, or a period of high humidity. Hopefully someone will find an answer. I can't afford to replace all of the sensors, fuses, etc. just to try to find which one (if there IS one) is at fault. Thanks for this forum. Hopefully we can all find a solution.
Old 07 Feb 2013, 02:18 am
Senior Cruiser

The fan stops running when the key is in the off position. If it does not, then remove one fan relay, fan should stop. If not, then remove other relay. Fan should stop. If fan stops, replace that [or both] relays. If fan continues to run with both relays removed, carefully inspect wiring harness.
Old 07 Feb 2013, 01:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not sure if I was clear in my last post. My fan turns off when I turn off the engine after driving. But the fan turns ON by itself at some point in the night or early morning when the key is still in the OFF position. I'm not sure how to determine why it is coming ON with the key OFF and nobody in the car. It's like it has a mind of its own. If I catch it doing it (which I have twice) I was able to start the engine and then turn off the engine and the fan stopped. It's only done this about 4 times in 4-5 months. The mechanic says he can't fix it if he can't duplicate the problem. The issue is that if I don't catch it doing this, it kills my battery (which it has done twice now). Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 13 Feb 2013, 07:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi,
I have a 01 PT and the cooling fan runs for a second and turn off and back on again over and over. car doesn't over heat, but just seems like it shouldn't be doing that. I've replaced the fan motor awhile ago and at this rate i'm afraid i'm going to have to do it again soon.
Old 14 Feb 2013, 04:15 am
Senior Cruiser

When you 'catch it doing it' is the right [and only] time to pull the relays. One of them might be sticking occasionally.
Old 26 Feb 2013, 10:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

I had a similar problem with my '02 Limited. The fan would start running on high if I accidentally turned the key to the ACC position instead of the off position. It would stop when the key was turned to off. I wasn't used to being able to take a key out of the ignition in any position and didn't know that I was leaving it in ACC when I turned it off. That was the first sign that something was wrong. Temp was normal and everything was otherwise cool.

Then, on Sunday, the fan apparently quit while I was in a long drive-through line and it overheated, briefly. Checking it out after a 35 mile tow home, I found that the fan had started working only on low speed and only when the A/C was on, then it stopped working at all, and the temp would start to climb.

I had been getting a whiff of coolant when the engine was running lately and when checking out the fan, I found that the radiator was seeping down both sides at the tank seams. Also, it had done some bubbling in the reservoir and a little overflow on Sunday, so I parked it and ordered all new hoses, a new thermostat, new radiator and Dorman fan, new relays, and Zerex G 05 HOAT.

Once the parts are here, I'll get after it. The previous owner had used some stop leak, I think, because the reservoir has that reddish brown scum inside, so the reservoir will have to be cleaned to make the coolant level visible. The hoses look old and the radiator is apparently Mopar original, so at 121k miles, they need to be replaced.

Thanks to all the info posted here, wrenching on my new-to-me PT isn't worrisome. I think it's gonna be doable.