Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Geez another problem 02 Pt Cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2011, 02:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Geez another problem 02 Pt Cruiser

Now I really need some advise !! Had a problem with my headlights going dim when A/C turned on & sometimes felt a wierd slam when driving. Took to Chryster dealer they replaced the cooling fan ( which was replaced about 3 yrs prior) said was drawing to much power...ok fine.
next night headlights flickering but not dimming quite so much, back to shop...said nothing wrong, well yes there is !!!
have had it back 3 times still cant find problem... NOW time on radio going off & on (still light out) so dont know what headlights doing, stalled a few times, to afraid to drive. getting new code of 0505 along with 1684 which I know is battery disconnect BUT it didnt come up a few days ago
Yes new battery, last one was 6 months old, new one...2 weeks maybe

Please help !!

Julie
Old 22 Jul 2011, 03:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Geez another problem 02 Pt Cruiser

Have them check the alternator output. Check grounds on engine for corrosion. Green on copper is bad news and resistance goes up causing problems like you mention. When I did the head gasket on my '02 I looked real close at the big wire going to the alternator (output) and it had green on it and I sprayed it down with the Mopar Rust Penetrant to disolve it. Past experience with same situation : On my 98 Neon R/T had a problem with the starter not working, turn the key to start and click,click. Thought the starter was bad and replaced it myself to the tune of $130. Week later the same thing....damn. Looked at the starter cable closer and green corrosion all over the positive cable. I installed new cable and cut the skin off the old and the green was 1/2 up under the covering. THAT was my problem all along.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 04:50 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks for your answer. We always tell everyone to check the wires for corrosion but that "green" is a telling sign that things are going wrong.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 05:28 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Even though the code is related to the IAC 'system" I think that is coming on due to another reason and it's an after fault. Battery I have to say isn't the problem and old one probably was good. Something is putting a heck of a load on the electrical system such as dimming headlights, stall out and radio doing weird things and that could be resistance spike.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 09:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When we replaced battery # 1 we also replaced the cables, seems like a couple months after that is when I noticed the headlights dimming constantly. Finally got so bad took it down to where got battery had them test Batt, Alt & whatever else they do. Battery only had 18 amps so was replaced. Still problem continued. brought to local shop, cant find problem so off to Chrystler dealer figuring they specialize in them so they can find it, whatever they did made it worse.
I am running out of options & $$$$
Old 23 Jul 2011, 06:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

So battery is new. Chrysler dealer tested charging system and that's good. Car has headlights dim when fan comes on correct? Hmmmm? Code for IAC 0505. How about the Idle Circuit Motor in the throttlebody. The system reads the change in state of the motor and feeds that back to the engine computer. When was the last time the throttlebody was removed and thoroughly cleaned? Possible the stepper motor is gummed and carboned up and can't compensate for the load when the rad fan comes on so other systems suffer because of idle drops and voltage load. The motor has a pintle (cone) that adjusts open or closed to keep idle at a certain target. If it reacts slow or not at all could be cause of problem. Please let me know more symptoms.

Last edited by My02RedRide; 23 Jul 2011 at 06:56 am.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 10:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hmmm... more symtoms.

Every once in a while feel a slam- jerk, once doing about 40 mph, ac, lights, radio were on. sometimes nothing (electrical) on, mostly does it alt low speeds ( under 20 mph)

clock flashses of & on, me & my daughter rode around the block for 5 minutes had he looking at clock ...did this 5-6 times (didnt drive over 30 mph) noticed this happening other day after stopping for gas, tried to start wouldnt, got started died, drove 15 ft died, 3 times later drove a mile notice cklock flashing turned around went home

at night when A/c is on headlights dim and contantly do so untill ac turned off.
Replaced cooling fan as it was "drawing" to much power (according to Chrystler tech) NOW headlights flickering but not so much dimming, very noticeable.

No green stuff, has new battery cables ...well 6 months ago
New Battery
New cooling fan
New tires, brakes, thought I'd throw those in too...neveer know..
Did blow the timing belt last year, replaced heads too
Poor little car been through He**
has 100944 miles on it
Old 23 Jul 2011, 11:52 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Something is putting a load on the electrical system I feel. New battery cables is good. My concern is the connection at the alternator. There is a some what medium size wire cable that attaches to the back of the alternator that feeds the whole electrical system power distribution system (fuse box under hood) . IF there is corrosion (green stuff) on that cable then power going out from the alternator is restricted, kinda like a garden hose with a kink (corrosion), water is on full blast at the house (alternator putting out) but minimal is coming out the other end (not enough voltage or amps). Replacing the fan with a new one was one piece of the puzzle. The old one may infact had a binding issue in the motor that put extra load on the electrical system. The new fan eliminated that part of the puzzle by reducing part of the load. Did the dealer test the alternator output and give you numbers? Too bad you don't live by me... this would be a fun one to diagnose.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 11:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

One more thing..... how is the alternator belt tension??? The problem the car has only happens when the AC is on and running. This puts a load on the engine. The AC / PS belt are one with an auto-tensioner and alternator is another with a manual adjustment. Is the alternator belt original? How many miles on it?...... this problem bothers me. I feel your pain ..... Paul
Old 23 Jul 2011, 12:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Florida is actually very nice this time of year & I have an extra room....LOL !!!!

Its driving me nuts too, I know that little wire your talking about and when we replaced the cable I seem to recal my BF having an issue with it so he used the original (little wire) and just put new connectors on the ends.

I know what he is going to be doing when he gets home from work tonight.
I guess we will start there
I am going down to the store now to get the wire do you recommend any certain gauge wire ??