Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
dang gremlins! (main computer?)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jul 2011, 03:39 pm
Young Cruiser

Default dang gremlins! (main computer?)

About 2 months ago, my battery died. Replaced, looked fine, all indications normal until the next day when I had "error" instead of mileage on the dash.

I took it to the Chrysler dealer, they said the main computer was fried and it would be $900 to replace, no chance to reflash the programming.

About a week ago, I started getting overheating problems, but none of the three mechanics I've taken it to can find the problem. No codes, because the main computer is scrambled.

I've noticed sometimes the fan doesn't work, other times, the car says it's overheating but the actual temperature is within limits. Sometimes the A/C works fine, other times, it blows warm air.

Physically, the coolant system seems fine. The thermostat has been replaced, and the mechanics are currently checking the relays for the fan.

Any clue if the main computer controls the cooling system, or if there is something else I should be looking at (or have looked at)? I really need this fixed before actual physical damage to the engine happens.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 07:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: dang gremlins! (main computer?)

Does the fan come on when the AC is on? It should. If not my guess would be that you have a bad rad fan.

Its a 2 speed fan. Low when up to temperature and high when the AC is on.

Some times the connection for the fan gets corroded and the fan stops in one or both high and low. the connecter is under the car by the fan.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, 17" RTX Euro wheels, K&N drop in air filter, MotoMaster flat plate AGM battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 01:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

is the computer still "scrambled"?

Last edited by jhnhardee; 24 Jul 2011 at 01:40 pm. Reason: wrong info
Old 24 Jul 2011, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

both fan relays are grounded by the engine control module when cooling is needed. there is a dropping resistor inside each fan unit that controls the two speed operation. which is suppose to happen at or around 238 degrees from low to high. but other factors like engine temp, air intake temp, transmission temp and a/c operating pressure can affect when the relays are energized.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 03:56 pm
Young Cruiser

Yes, the computer is still scrambled.

So, are you saying that if the computer is scrambled, it won't trigger the relays to reset/recharge?

UPDATE:

So the mechanic called and said I need a new fan. I've been looking, seems as if there are three styles that are used in my car. I'm still searching.

Last edited by Teeter; 25 Jul 2011 at 08:56 pm. Reason: update