Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
GT Turbo: Blue White Smoke Valve Seals

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Jul 2011, 10:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default GT Turbo: Blue White Smoke Valve Seals

My daughter's 2005 PT Cruiser GT Turbo started blowing bluish white smoke upon start-up all of a sudden. I had hoped that the problem was a PCV but I have yet found the PCV (search PCV Valve Location in this forum) but I won't bore you with that. I have replaced the oil soaked spark plugs and the car still smoke, of course.

So I'm now thinking that maybe we had a valve seal or two fail. I'll bring my service manual on tomorrow's airplane trip to learn how to inspect and replace the valve seals. I found this video and it seams pretty easy (). I may have to buy some more tools but that's a necessary thing, right?

Any advice? Specific tool recommendations?

Thanks!

Lou
Old 24 Jul 2011, 11:47 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: GT Turbo: Blue White Smoke Valve Seals

if the heads are similar in design on the 2005 2.4 and the 2001. (they changed but idk how much) the springs are pretty far down in there.
i bought a tool to help. schley 91400.(the cool thing is some come with the fitting to put air into the cylinder for on the car replacement).
forum member uptownsports made an end for the c clamp style valve spring compession tool to reach further in and still be able to get the keepers back in. the one in the picture on your post i have and was way too big.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhnhardee View Post
if the heads are similar in design on the 2005 2.4 and the 2001. (they changed but idk how much) the springs are pretty far down in there.
i bought a tool to help. schley 91400.(the cool thing is some come with the fitting to put air into the cylinder for on the car replacement).
forum member uptownsports made an end for the c clamp style valve spring compession tool to reach further in and still be able to get the keepers back in. the one in the picture on your post i have and was way too big.
That John is exactly the kind of help I need. Ok so, is the 2001 and 2005 Turbo head the same? Anyone? Anyone?...

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Jul 2011 at 05:29 pm.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Popeye,

Save your economics lesson for the non-pt discussion part of the forum.

As far as being impatient for an answer to your original question; it's Sunday night and not too many people are on the forum.

If you go to the RockAuto Auto Parts site and look up the head for the 2001 (are you sure you want 2001 as the Turbo didn't come out till 2003) and 2005 head and look at the part numbers to see if they are the same. That will tell you if you can swap without a problem.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 05:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not all that impatient... just having a good day. I'll chill on the humor.

Good idea on Rock Auto. Thanks.

Tags
valve seals